• Investor
  • Illinois
Votes |
Note investing vs Buy and hold and how they affect net worth

Greg W.
  • Investor
  • Illinois
Posted Jan 8 2018, 16:43

I am seeking perspective from the savvy note investors as well as established buy and hold (rental property) investors regarding the "best" strategy to grow net worth over time.  I am a current house flipper and looking to start converting into more passive investments and am really interested in the note investing concept.  I'm not entirely sold on the idea of note investing over buying and holding rental properties.  I understand that an advantage of note ownership is that its typically viewed as a more passive investment (no 3am toilet phone calls) and that is what attracts me to this concept.  The part that I am having trouble with is long term equity.  What I mean by this is that it seems to me that as the course of the note is paid, the equity is being reduced and more importantly, how this affects your net worth.  With rental properties (assuming your using leverage), you receive the benefits of increasing equity (forced savings via mortgage reduction), ability to lend against the asset, tax benefits, depreciation, cash flow, and possible appreciation to name a few.  With a note (while you can force appreciation by converting from non-performing to performing) you won't see any other appreciation, taxed at regular income rates, and lowered equity over the course of the payment schedule and it looks to me that you are only investing for cash flow.  Investing for cash flow in my mind is fantastic, I just want that perspective from a more seasoned person than myself as it pertains to the long term.  I do understand that there are some ways to have the equity in the note eligible for some types of lending.  This post is coming from someone who is not an expert in either field but someone who is looking to become very familiar with the core concepts of note investing before taking the plunge.  Thanks in advance for your responses.

Loading replies...