Benton Co Arkansas Post Auction Properties

8 Replies

Hello everyone,

I recently came across a discussion on BP that directed my attention to state post auction properties. I was actually surprised by a few of these properties and a quick sales comp suggest there is money to be made with little risk. Or so it appears. Does anyone have experience purchasing these properties? I know a lien or unexpected issue could hinder selling the property quickly or add additional costs. I haven't done a lien search through the county yet but plan to next few days. Any suggestions on things to look out for or how you would go about researching/purchasing the property?

Thank you @Dustin Davis , I just reached out to him. I haven't made it by to check county records yet but all I can guess is that Bella Vista POA has outstanding liens against the property causing them to be over priced or leaving little incentive to hold or resell.

Originally posted by @Dustin Davis :

@Kori Ford , going through the process of the tax auction should wipe those liens clean... I'm sure Paul can answer that. If he doesn't respond on here you might google him and call his office. 

Dustin,

When I looked at Washington County property up for tax auction, I was informed I'd be responsible for clearing the liens.  I was interested in a super-skinny strip of land adjacent to property I currently own, but there were MANY liens against it because it was owned by Brandon Barber, who'd gone to jail for misc. property development misdeeds. 

Are you saying that I would NOT have been responsible for clearing those liens? If so, I might see if the property shows up at the next tax auction.  

~Susan

Originally posted by @Dustin Davis :

@Susan H. I'm not an attorney so can't say for sure, please don't take my off hand thought as scripture. In tax sales they might stick, I'd tell you to reach out to @Paul Younger as I know he knows the process well. Sorry if I created any confusion... 

Thank you, I will!

~Susan

Susan - 

The short answer is normally the liens are wiped out by the tax sale, and subsequent quiet title lawsuit.  There are some instances where the liens are not wiped out.  Give me a call if you want to discuss further, for a full opinion on whether or not the liens would be removed, I'd have to look at the title work, type of lien, etc.  

Originally posted by @Paul Younger :

Susan - 

The short answer is normally the liens are wiped out by the tax sale, and subsequent quiet title lawsuit.  There are some instances where the liens are not wiped out.  Give me a call if you want to discuss further, for a full opinion on whether or not the liens would be removed, I'd have to look at the title work, type of lien, etc.  

Paul, thank you VERY much!

~Susan