Anyone signed up for US Tax Lien Assc training 5/16-5/18?

Anyone signed up for US Tax Lien Assc training 5/16-5/18?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes

Did anyone sign up for US Tax Lien Association 3 day workshop 5/16-5/18 in Burlingame Ca? I missed the registration deadline and would like to be your Significant Other if you don’t have one to attend with.

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

@Account Closed

Glad it was a free class. The problem with most tax lien training is it is not specific enough. The rules vary so much from state to state.

You find Mortgages in the land records. Many states land records are on line. In most states if you foreclose on the property, mortgages are wiped out. I would not expect most tax lien lists to supply whether there is a mortgage or not.

I don't know. I would be concerned that it is a mistake and the lien may be voided. You would certainly get your principal back but on voided liens you usually do not get any interest. On the other hand it might be a very safe lien and you can count on earning your interest. 

This is one of those specifics you  are never going to learn in a class. In a similar situation, I often see churches in the Baltimore tax sale. I asked my attorney and he "While the churches are exempt from taxes they are not exempt from water bill or city citations."  So here is one of our recent foreclosures.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Total garbage. They resell a bunch of low value/worthless tax liens. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks

    Hi Wayne- thanks for the feedback. Did you take the workshop? I didn’t know they sold liens to you. the workshop is supposed to be about due diligence and strategies.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Don't pay for training on Tax Liens. You can get what you need on BP.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    there are no strategies  but they can be complicated you just need to get on the counties or states websites and read how they work.. anyone who has graduated high school can figure it out.. its not tough

    many of these companies do these feeder events.. and are really just looking to dump their liens on newbies. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    My thoughts are don't pay for this training.   It is tricky to get good training on tax liens and deeds, but this is in my opinion not the right place to get it.   I'm sure they probably have different presenters in different places, but the one I saw give the free workshop in Dallas area told flat out lies and was not familiar with our local procedures.   They told enough BS that it was not worthwhile for me to move forward.   

    My thoughts on how to learn is to go to the sales.  Talk to people, trade business cards, network, ask questions.   See if your county has seminars on how to buy.  Ask questions here.

    You really want to learn from a state specific expert and even better from a local expert.   The national guys are just too general in my opinion.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I wasn't going to comment because I have no direct experience with the US Tax Lien Association. However my suspicions echo the comments above. I have seen one of their promotional videos which is full of the same guru bunk I see elsewhere. 

    They say things like "the government guarantees your return" That is absolutely untrue. The government gives no guarantee on tax liens. 

    The reality is the way the game is played today with big money coming in is it is low to modest reward with significant risk. The way for a small investor to compete in tax liens today is find a less competitive market or find a particular niche strategy that works where you are

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    The information contained in John T. Reed's 'BS Detector of Gurus, etc.' should help you decide if it's worth pursuing. The actual list is a little older, but will still give you a good start.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Ned Carey

    Thanks for commenting anyways. I think I got the basics down but I’m looking for more specific things. I had a few questions at the lien presentation which they could not answer, but I did feel like they offer some good free info in the initial 3 hour session.

    Well here were a couple my question I had...

    1) how can I find out if there’s an existing mortgage? I’ve seen some document uploads in the county site that were affidavits of mortgages, but not sure if this is always provided and required.

    2) I purchased a lien for what looks look train stop owned by New Jersey Transit. Generally Is it a lot less risk purchasing a lien when the owner is another municipality ??

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Bruce Lynn thanks for the good feedback. You’re right they seem to be pretty specific on their approach- sounded like it was OTCs and vacant land. I know most people think OTCs are junk, but I was curious to know more on their method.

    It’s hard to find someone who actually took the course.

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 490 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @An Lam Have you read Michael Pellegrino’s book on NJ tax liens? He’s the expert in the space you may want to reach out to him about your specific situation. He’s an attorney by the way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Allan Szlafrok thanks! I’ll check it out!

  • Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    You are asking about a scam tax lien "trainings" and talking about a lien you already purchased in the same post? 
    *Hand to forehead*

    My suggestion is stop going to retail trainings & seminars and second, QUIT BUYING LIENS.  Instead I suggest: Attend 10 (TEN) Auctions in-person without investing any money.  Network with the other bidders.  Learn the system on a local level.  The in-person part is essential.  So is the local level part.  And the no money part.  

    Be less willing to part with your money so easily.  Be more willing to put in some hard work.  On your eleventh auction you will find an opportunity and make a true investment.  Not promising you that, but at least you won't be having these types of questions.

    Good luck

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    Glad it was a free class. The problem with most tax lien training is it is not specific enough. The rules vary so much from state to state.

    You find Mortgages in the land records. Many states land records are on line. In most states if you foreclose on the property, mortgages are wiped out. I would not expect most tax lien lists to supply whether there is a mortgage or not.

    I don't know. I would be concerned that it is a mistake and the lien may be voided. You would certainly get your principal back but on voided liens you usually do not get any interest. On the other hand it might be a very safe lien and you can count on earning your interest. 

    This is one of those specifics you  are never going to learn in a class. In a similar situation, I often see churches in the Baltimore tax sale. I asked my attorney and he "While the churches are exempt from taxes they are not exempt from water bill or city citations."  So here is one of our recent foreclosures.

  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 75 votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Ned Carey Great nugget of information about Churches- that's a nice one to boot. I'd love to hear what you end up doing with it.

    Thanks for the info

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    Well the first thing we did is put in a sump pump and pump out the basement. More recently we boarded up the windows and re-sucured the building as the junkies were breaking in a stealing the stained glass.  That is pretty sad when you have to steal from a church!

    We have listed it with a commercial broker that specializes in churches and places of worship. Who would have thought there was such a broker?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.