How similar or different are US and Canadien REI strategies ?

2 Replies

Hello BP community,

I would like to know if any of you have RE in both US & Canada and if yes, how does the strategies change between these two countries?

Are there any major differences in tax rules? Would you use the same strategies in both countries?

Originally posted by @Sam Raj :

Hello BP community,

I would like to know if any of you have RE in both US & Canada and if yes, how does the strategies change between these two countries?

Are there any major differences in tax rules? Would you use the same strategies in both countries?

This is a wide open question, and you haven't given much background on what you're trying to achieve, so you're not going to illicit much response.  It's like asking should I buy a Chevy Cruz or a Mercedes AMG S63 without providing your budget, whether you're looking for performance/economy, etc.  

Are you looking for long term cashflow (buy and hold), quick profit (flips), passive income (syndication or REIT), residential/commercial, hands on/off. Yes there are major tax implications, depending on your citizenship, the entity you use and the strategy you use mentioned above.

There's a ton of info on here if you do some searching, you can find most if not all your answers.  

Thanks for your response @Chad U.

I’m a permanent resident of Canada (not a citizen yet). I’m looking for a cash flow property and i think I would like to follow buy and hold strategy. I currently rent and planning to buy my first property. I’m not sure if I should go for a multi family or go for single family first and then think of a separate rental property?

I can arrange around 60-80k as down payment. And have a family income of 120k.