Quiet Title Action

8 Replies

I've gotten an estimate at about $4000. I'm in Texas and I presented the attorney with specific information to a particular property so that may have had an effect on the price.

I'd like to hear form others who may have gone through this.

Goodness, That was much more than I was expecting.

I know you can do a "Pro Se Quiet Title action" which mean you file it yourself and act as your own attorney. At 4k a pop I am leaning more towards learning the ins and outs of it myself.

-Martin

I know this is an old thread, but I am researching properties purchasing property for unpaid back taxes. The ones I am looking at right now are those on which no leins were sold; therefore, the county (Rogers in Okla.)legally owns the property and will be selling them at auction. I have heard that I will need to do a quiet title. Can someone explain what a quiet title is and why I might need one?

Thanks,

Vicky

Originally posted by "vblacknall":
I know this is an old thread, but I am researching properties purchasing property for unpaid back taxes. The ones I am looking at right now are those on which no leins were sold; therefore, the county (Rogers in Okla.)legally owns the property and will be selling them at auction. I have heard that I will need to do a quiet title. Can someone explain what a quiet title is and why I might need one?

Thanks,

Vicky

Quiet title is a court action that tells everyone you own the property and have given the chance for the previous owners to fight for it. Most people want to get quiet titles because they can't get title insurance for their property until it is done. There are ways to get title insurance though without an expensive quiet title action. In fact, there's a book on it. Go to one of the bookstores and type in ISBN 0978834682. The book's mainly about tax lien and tax deed foreclosures, I haven't really used it for quiet title suits, I mainly use it for auctions.

Thanks J.
We ended up just getting a great education at the sale. We did a good deal of homework, but not quite as much as needed. Like it has already been mentioned in this forum, the "big guys" were there and dominated the best buys. At any rate, it was fun and informative.
Have you purchased many liens or properties at property tax sales?
Thanks again for your reply and direction. I will get that book.

Vicky

John,

We do expect to bid in the future with the intent to buy. Some investors got some really good buys. We did a consult with an attorney and learned more about quiet title action. From the posts here, I'm thinking some reading is in order. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply.

Vicky

Originally posted by "vblacknall":
John,

We do expect to bid in the future with the intent to buy. Some investors got some really good buys. We did a consult with an attorney and learned more about quiet title action. From the posts here, I'm thinking some reading is in order. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply.

Vicky

There is no real book that everyone recommends for tax lien certificate or tax deed sales. The old one that does still get references if called "16% Solution". It does a good job of explaining the main concepts and how different states operate using 1 of 4 major methods. It is out of date when it comes to interest rates being offered or specific county information.

If you are just looking for reading materials related to the broader topic of real estate legal rights, what a title is and how foreclosure works I can recommend something else.

Email or PM me. Email is preferred. Include something that shows what we were talking about so I send you the right info.

John Corey