Should I turn my NE duplex into an Airbnb?

Should I turn my NE duplex into an Airbnb?

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes

I recently bought a large duplex as an owner occupied, mainly for the better financing terms, but my goal is to move out as soon as I can to start generating cashflow on both units. 

To give you some more context. Each unit is a 3 bd apartment, and It will be too much space for myself so I'm considering making my unit (the owner occupied) into an Airbnb while I'm there. However, I'd have to invest in furnishing the whole place and I might be moving out in 6 to 12 months anyways so that seems like a waste.

Any ideas? Does anyone have recommendation on furniture rental, cleaning services, airbnb apartment management services ?

Thanks!

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Tim SwierczekPro Member
Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

You can rent furniture and it’s  much better than buying in the short term.  it’s my understanding that the break even on owning is 18 months. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You can rent furniture and it’s  much better than buying in the short term.  it’s my understanding that the break even on owning is 18 months. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Luis Arellano in 1 word; Ikea

  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Luis Arellano I still recommend renting.  We furnished a 4 bed place using predominantly IKEA furniture and when you add it all up, the total exceeded 13K, so for a 9 month rental you should rent furniture too. Several thousand of that were things you will already have, like kitchen supplies, cleaning supplies, TV, etc.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Hi Tim,

    Thanks for the tips. I did take a look at some of the rental pieces, but most look cheap to begin with so after 9 months I might have spent quite a bit. I think it would make a lot more sense to rent if I could find places that rent west elm type furniture, but haven't found anything like it. Do you have any recommendations for rental companies? 

  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Luis Arellano I did not rent (wish I would have) but I will check with some STR PM's I know and get back to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.