• Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
How Much Are You Putting Away For Retirement Vs. Investing

Steven May
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Nov 1 2019, 19:35

As a millennial and recent college grad and wanting to begin building a portfolio of properties while working a full time job, a question I constantly find myself contemplating is how to plan for an early retirement and build the best ROI on both my money and time.

As for those of you who currently build wealth through real estate in any niche whether it be buy and hold, flips, BRRRRs, commercial, residential and etc. --- How much are you putting away in various accounts to both build a healthy account for retirement, while also actively building your real estate portfolio with cash flow. The work of successful entrepreneurs such as Warren Buffet, Tony Robbins, and other investors commonly suggest putting 10-20% away of W2 income in accounts that compound such as Roth IRAs and company matching 401ks. The work of other great entrepreneurs such as Brandon Turner, and Grant Cardone avoid stocks, ETFs, and participate in REI only.

I agree with both sides of the spectrum and each category has its pros vs cons. As for moving through my late 20s, and into my 30s and beyond. I want to put my money to work for me in the best possible position to allow for the option to be able to passively collect income such as cash flowing real estate and also having a significant tax advantage retirement fund to rely on later in life that will compound through avenues such as ETFs that are diversified in different sectors and the S&P 500 index. 

For those of you, no matter what age frame you fall in:

(lets assume we moderately change our strategies through the years to  account for changes in economic cycles)

-How are you preparing yourself for financial Independence and possibly early retirement? 

-What lessons have you learned that you would tell your 23 year old self? 

-What is your balance of cash vs. equity (assets) vs. retirement fund vs. other investments such as savings/checking accounts? 

-Pay Down Debt/Borrow More?

Thanks for reading and look forward to the feedback!

Loading replies...