Alexander Crocker
  • Hudson, NH
Votes |
Contractor Incomplete Job

Alexander Crocker
  • Hudson, NH
Posted Oct 7 2019, 09:28

Hello All,

I am looking for some advice on how to handle a disagreement I had with a contractor.

I hired someone to do a small apartment renovation consisting of kitchen cabinet replacement, installation of new flooring, window repair, trim etc... Originally the quote I received was to do work after drywall had been installed and that I would prep for drywall installation which involved tearing out a small amount of trim, debris removal and some minor framing. I decided it would be best to have the contractor do prep work as well so that he would be responsible for the project going smoothly throughout the process.

This was going to be added to the initial quote and the agreed upon price was $800. At the time I felt $800 was quite high but I accepted considering I thought he had actually underbid the rest of the project. 

He completed the first phase of the project without updating the contract so I have not signed anything. I figured he would add it in later. Prepping for drywall took him one 8 hr day with two workers. The next day I get a text from him explaining that he has other obligations and cannot continue with my project and wanted to be paid for the days work and call it quits. 

I feel totally screwed over since I will be forced to find another contractor last minute which will delay the project into winter. He was also asking for an extra $200 since he did some extra work removing carpeting. 

I feel like I was ripped off since I would have never hired him to do the first phase of the project if he didn’t intend to finish it. I also feel like $800 for one days work of mostly unskilled labor is ridiculous.

Is negotiating the price after the job was completed a scumbag move or do I have the right since he did not finish the job? I definitely want to pay him what the job was worth ($600 tops considering there was no skilled labor) but after he left me hanging out to dry I am hesitant to pay him the full $800. I feel that dropping out last minute because other obligations got in the way is very unprofessional and inconsiderate. The delay he caused the project will cost me in missed rent and it will be difficult finding a tenant in the winter.

Loading replies...