• san jose, ca
Votes |
REVIEW - RL Property Management

Avtandil G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • san jose, ca
Posted Jun 16 2019, 23:15

TL;DR

* Aggressively pushing 'maintenance' and for the most part for things not requiring any maintenance

* In-house maintenance rates are eye-watering, way higher than what you'd see in even most expensive markets

* Maintenance does not require owner's approval - RL reserves decision what to do when, cheaper plans have higher limits and all are at RL's discretion 

* Refuses to manage in many parts of town

Longer version

Signed up for their service after a few conversations over the phone - owner stressed investor-friendly approach. Main attraction was flat rate management fees vs % that everyone else charges. It became clear very quickly that the company is making all its profit on 'maintenance surcharge' and is very aggressively pushing 'maintenance' where it's needed and where it's not. I have remodeled the unit completely prior to putting it to rent, including addressing pre-movein readiness checklist I was given by RL after they walked through the unit (small list of punch items like toilet paper holder, cleaning unit, door stopper etc.). However, once I signed an agreement, they sent me an even longer punch list, approaching $2K for a while bunch of silly things, none of which would deter tenants (proven once I switched away from RL) and all of them carrying ridiculous surcharge prices way higher that one may see even in most expensive coastal markets like CA and NYC. Many items were completely unnecessary which I stressed to RL, but after a couple of conversations it became clear they did not want to budge, which made me fire them. Example of overcharges included

* $300 for cleaning windows and cabinets after entire house was professionally cleaned

* $80 to replace HVAC filter after entire HVAC system was replaced

* $700 for a small list of punch items - 2 door stops, raking backyard, removing satellite dish in backyard and trimming bushes

After terminating relationship, owner decided to send a termination charge for $450 (contract does stipulate it) - even though the company has not done squat and never placed a tenant and already charged so called 'set up' fee of $300.. Owner justified the rationale for charging termination fees because he had to 'supposedly' send his crew to do evaluation of the unit a couple of times. 

Normally I do not post negative stuff, but the above and particularly termination fee for doing nothing irked me a great deal. Highly discourage anyone to deal with these guys

Loading replies...