Lee-Miles Area (Cleveland)

13 Replies

I am looking at a potential SFH in the Lee-Miles Area (see attached image and pin) - zip code 44128. I've referred to @James Wise guide but was wondering what you guys thought of the neighborhood or block(s) as it can be different than the entire Zip code? Is the area safe? Will it mainly be Sec 8 occupied? I have run my numbers and can see good returns on a 3-4 bed SFH.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

I worked for a non-profit housing developer in the city (did not work directly in that neighborhood, but have been there).  I think it's a pretty decent area as far as east side neighborhoods in Cleveland go, but some streets can definitely be better than others.  It won't be gentrifying anytime soon, but there is a solid amount of owner occupied homes and not a ton of condemned houses in need of tear down like you will see in other areas of the city. As for safety - it isn't Buckeye, but it is still a low income inner city neighborhood. 

I would never go on zip code alone for selecting a neighborhood in Cleveland as there is way too much variation within each zip. 

Originally posted by @Amit Raghavan :

I am looking at a potential SFH in the Lee-Miles Area (see attached image and pin) - zip code 44128. I've referred to @James Wise guide but was wondering what you guys thought of the neighborhood or block(s) as it can be different than the entire Zip code? Is the area safe? Will it mainly be Sec 8 occupied? I have run my numbers and can see good returns on a 3-4 bed SFH.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

That area is pretty decent. We raised on an equity fund for an apartment building around there. We turned it around and still continue to manage it. We get decent rents with decent tenants out there. I am also familiar with SFRs out there. They perform pretty well. If the deal is right, I would consider it.

@Amit Raghavan

It's kind of on the fringe.  Garfield Heights and Maple Heights just to the south are pretty decent neighborhoods.  Shaker Heights to the northeast is a good area too but I believe the taxes there are much higher than the surrounding areas.  @James Wise would definitely be able to give you a more educated answer but I believe it would be a lower C area and would be worth it if your deal is showing solid returns.

Originally posted by @Chris Taylor :

@Amit Raghavan

It's kind of on the fringe.  Garfield Heights and Maple Heights just to the south are pretty decent neighborhoods.  Shaker Heights to the northeast is a good area too but I believe the taxes there are much higher than the surrounding areas.  @James Wise would definitely be able to give you a more educated answer but I believe it would be a lower C area and would be worth it if your deal is showing solid returns.

If I were investing there I would look towards going Section 8 on the property. You aren't going to attack the highest quality tenant base in that neighborhood so Section 8 is gonna guarantee that the rent payment keeps coming in consistently.

I sold a house there in January.

The tenant stopped paying and forged payment document to avoid eviction. Though his awkward trick was easily handled by attorney, it costed me extra $$ and time to get him out.

I asked my PM to install security system there and paid him  deposit for repair. Guess what? Nothing was done for two months despite my constant following up! Then the house was broken in. furnace and hot water tank stolen!

Thinking of lower entry SFH's and saw a couple in this area. After search I found this thread. Anyone have rentals near the park? Understanding areas in a single zip can vary widely, I was looking east of the park close to where OP was looking over a year ago.

@James Wise

@Tom Ott    

I was looking at a property just on the East side of the park. This would be Section 8 as suggested. Has the area gotten better or worse in the year since the last post in this thread? I would of course drive the area upon my return, but wanted the opinion of anyone familiar with the area.

Any other suggestions for areas with low entry SFH for S8 rentals?

Originally posted by @George H. :

Thinking of lower entry SFH's and saw a couple in this area. After search I found this thread. Anyone have rentals near the park? Understanding areas in a single zip can vary widely, I was looking east of the park close to where OP was looking over a year ago.

@James Wise

@Tom Ott    

I was looking at a property just on the East side of the park. This would be Section 8 as suggested. Has the area gotten better or worse in the year since the last post in this thread? I would of course drive the area upon my return, but wanted the opinion of anyone familiar with the area.

No change.

Originally posted by @George H. :

@James Wise

@Tom Ott   

Yes, this area is probably going to remain the same for a while. However, due to COVID, I would be less inclined to just jump in that area right now. I would wait to see what happens with the economy first.

I would recommend Garfield Hts, before 44128 zip. The Cleveland zip has the advantage of no Point of Sale but I have no problems in obtaining good tenants for Garfield Hts SFH. Garfield has POS but no escrow. Maple Hts has a POS and escrow. Over the past few months our group has had problems in finding tenants to meet our minimum 550 credit score on the east side of Cleveland and 44118 areas of Cleveland Hts. If you are interested in Cleveland I would recommend 44109 Old Brooklyn area on the west side of Cleveland.

Originally posted by @Michelle Fenn :

I would recommend Garfield Hts, before 44128 zip. The Cleveland zip has the advantage of no Point of Sale but I have no problems in obtaining good tenants for Garfield Hts SFH. Garfield has POS but no escrow. Maple Hts has a POS and escrow. Over the past few months our group has had problems in finding tenants to meet our minimum 550 credit score on the east side of Cleveland and 44118 areas of Cleveland Hts. If you are interested in Cleveland I would recommend 44109 Old Brooklyn area on the west side of Cleveland.

Old Brooklyn is in my opinion, the most desirable area of all those mentioned in the above post.