• Rental Property Investor
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Votes |
Roof and electrical panel issues in Cleveland C-area duplex

David K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chagrin Falls, OH
Posted Jul 21 2019, 09:28

I am under contract for a duplex in a C neighborhood and just received the results of the home inspection. Most of the deferred maintenance / cap-ex items I can reasonably estimate. However, I was hoping to get some feedback from others in the area on a few items.

Roofing: The roof is roughly 1,900 SF. I believe I’ve heard James Wise throw out about 6k for new roofs for a duplex as a general ballpark number. Applying the estimates from the BP book on estimating rehab costs gives a pretty big range (~2.8k-$7.6k), so not really sure where that comes out from the local northeast Ohio perspective. I suppose 6k may be a reasonable ballpark, but any guidance is appreciated.

Electrical panel: the report also said that “an arcing sound is heard from the panel” and recommended that a licensed electrician inspect. Not really certain what this could mean. The panels are old (120/240 fuse box), so from a worst-case perspective might the panel need to be replaced? Is $2,000 a reasonable estimate for this?

Any feedback or thoughts is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Loading replies...