Questionable Rental Registration Letter

6 Replies

Hello All,

I got a letter yesterday from the City of Cleveland saying I owed $280 in rental registration fees for a property I bought in November.  I paid the registration fees when I purchased the property and I though the registration was good for a year from the date of filing.  The notice also said the payment was due March 1, but was postmarked February 26.  It also said the registration fees had doubled.  This seemed suspicious to me because March 1 is a Sunday and in all the previous letter I've received, there has been at least two weeks to pay the bill.  I attached a copy of the letter.  Is this legit?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

@Justin Wilson

Contact the city and find out what is going on.  The letter states the fee is $70 per unit and if not paid by 3/31/20 there is a $100 late fee.  How many units do you have?  Some ordinances require an annual fee no matter when it was bought.  The $280 in November was it for 2019.  All fees are due March 1 each year.  Go on line and read the ordinance and call them on Monday. 

@Justin Wilson The city is out of control. The $70 is light.The city doubled the rental registration fee last year to build their property and lead inspection program. Currently, the lead swab inspection is random at the time of the mandatory inspection. Be sure to clean window sills, inside the windows and the floors under windows and also exterior doors, Each inspector has their hot buttons. One will crawl behind bushes to look for areas needing tuck point. Standards seem to be lower on the East side. I had one inspector tell me he could fail every house on the street, but he was very lenient because the tenants were nasty.

The courts will require a rental registration for an eviction.

Good luck

Bob

Originally posted by @Bob Collett :

@Justin Wilson The city is out of control. The $70 is light.The city doubled the rental registration fee last year to build their property and lead inspection program. Currently, the lead swab inspection is random at the time of the mandatory inspection. Be sure to clean window sills, inside the windows and the floors under windows and also exterior doors, Each inspector has their hot buttons. One will crawl behind bushes to look for areas needing tuck point. Standards seem to be lower on the East side. I had one inspector tell me he could fail every house on the street, but he was very lenient because the tenants were nasty.

The courts will require a rental registration for an eviction.

Good luck

Bob

So far I've had 2 of my Cleveland proper properties get the random inspection... both passed with no issues. I think as long as a house is properly maintained in general it is unlikely to fail. If one's property has peeling paint, gutters with saplings growing, loose railings, majorly cracked up driveways/walks, and other slummy type characteristics it's more likely to fail. I had to laugh that they did a lead dust test at the most recent house of mine that they inspected... which was built in 1991. I thought about writing a letter to the mayor of Cleveland asking them to please not waste money testing for lead on houses built a decade after lead paint was discontinued/outlawed... but decided not to because that might make me a target for retaliation in the future LOL 

Thanks for your help everyone.  I called the city and the fee did double.  There was also a 1 month grace period so I had until March 31 to pay, but I paid over the phone.