Cash out Refi to use for house?

6 Replies

Hey guys!

My house is 100+ years old and I think the windows are original with the weights and the little cords on the outside. I replaced a couple windows myself because the quotes I got from companies were through the roof.

The siding is also wood and different parts of the house need constant work.

The siding estimate was around $40,000 which is a large chunk of change. Is it worth it to cash out refi the house to pay for siding and help pay for windows?

I would not be selling the house but wouldnt all the work to the house be good work that makes the value of the house go up?

I would be doing the windows myself to save some cost before and so the siders can cap all the windows.

Is this worth all the hassle or should I just deal with all the wood siding slowly falling off and painfully finding people to replace different spots?

@Mitchell Litam $40K!!! Is this an apartment building?  I would get some more quotes unless your house truly is a mansion.  Wood siding in poor conditions is likely not worth the hassle of constantly maintaining,  go over with siding will leave you worry free for a long time and will increase the value.  Repairing wood siding is not a cheap task as well (especially if you want repaired areas to match rest of house) and will ultimately run the risk of  future repairs.

@Shawn M. I thought it was $40 but now I am second guessing it to be about $25k. Its 3115 sq ft and three stories high and a pretty large property. Repairing wood is not cheap and more frustrating to find people because it is such a small job and seems no one wants to do that. However, you are saying its a good idea to do that?

@Mitchell Litam no I am suggesting wood siding is a hassle to maintain. In many cases it is best to cover wood siding with new siding. The new siding may cost more but long term it will save a bunch. Wood siding is costly to fix and starts becoming a yearly task. What is the use of this property; buy and hold, primary etc?

Another vote for siding due to the possibility of lead paint chips contaminating the soil at the base of the house.  Old windows are also a source of lead paint dust.  If there was a child living in your property who had elevated levels of lead in his blood and a risk assessment was done, the test would swab areas inside of the windows.  A lab test would indicate if there was lead dust present.  Any paint chips on the ground would fail the risk assessment and require additional testing.  

Windows and siding are 2 items I like to see complete on a purchase of a rental property.  If not they are addressed prior to a tenant move in.  I am doing windows right now on a recent buy in the city of Cleveland.  Just my 2 cents.