Investing in Low cost Multi Family homes?

Investing in Low cost Multi Family homes?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello guys, It's been a dream for me to start investing in real estate. I currently live in Florida, but the housing market is very expensive in south Florida. I wanted to invest in multi family homes and I have been looking into Ohio market which is more affordable. I wanted to known what is the minimum percentage requirement as down payment on Multiple Families compare to Single family homes. I was looking into Cincinnati areas around 50-90K. Thanks everyone

0Reply
28 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Richland, WA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    25% down is the norm.  Some people that have relationships with banks can get 20%. Start talking to banks to see what they want.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    When you say multifamily, are you referring to 5+ units, or multi-unit residential (2 - 4 units)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    Based on the price range you mention, I assume you're talking about duplexes, specifically. The Fannie Mae guideline in terms of a down payment on a 2 family home in which you do not occupy as a primary residence is 25%. That means any lender offering a conforming note will require 25% down. You may be able to find a portfolio or private lender who will accept less, but you would pay a higher interest rate for that.

    Also, that price range is pretty low, especially for a duplex. You're going to limited to some fairly sketchy areas, just so you know what you're getting into.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pompano beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 478 posts · 194 votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Alexis Come to our women’s group September 25th Ft Lauderdale listed on bp events page 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Engler:

    Thank you

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kris Wong:

    Thank you, good info to know, yes I was thinking 2-3 units

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 146 votes
    7y

    Some lenders will allow 20% down payment for a single family non-owner occupied home.  For multi-family it is usually 25%.  

    $50-90K price range for MFH could have been had a couple of years ago, but in today’s market properties in those price ranges are fixer uppers or in rough neighborhoods.  

    If you are looking for C-B class properties in C-B class neighborhoods expect to pay above $100K in Cincinnati and NKY.  

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Cassandra Alexis I did 15% down but my interest rate was about 3 points higher than the going rate and it is only fixed for 5 years. I am going to try to refinance out of it next year.

    Also you should check out Columbus, OH. Check out the population and job growth difference between Cincy and Cbus.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    Generally speaking, I would expect to pay higher prices in Cbus than Cincy. The higher growth rate isn't "free". =)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.