Caleb Lund
  • Missoula, MT
Votes |
Structural Engineer looking to start investing

Caleb Lund
  • Missoula, MT
Posted Jul 19 2019, 22:40

Hi Everyone, 

I am fairly new to real estate investing, and this is my first post on BP. A few months ago I stumbled across some videos of Brandon Turner's and have since been hooked with the possibilities available in real estate investing. I've always been interested in owning properties and doing flips and such, but never really knew where to begin or how to get into it. 

A bit over a year ago I graduated with my 4 year degree in Civil Engineering, and I got a job in Montana where I am doing Structural Engineering primarily for custom luxury homes. I have learned quite a bit about residential construction, but I have found that sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen all day isn't doing it for me. That's where the opportunities in real estate investing have me excited. I am looking to move back to Tulsa, both because of family and because the housing market where I live in Montana is much tougher than in the Midwest.

I would love to find a way to jump into real estate investing, but I have a family and so I have to be able to support them. I have been trying to find a structural engineering firm that does custom homes and smaller projects, similar to what I am currently doing, but so far all structural engineering firms in Tulsa seem to focus heavily on commercial and industrial projects. I was wondering if anyone would be able to make any recommendations for structural engineers that they use for their flips, BRRRRs, etc. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions of ways that I could use my experience from my degree and job to get into the investing field I would love to hear it. I know the smart and safe answer is to keep an engineering job while I build up a portfolio, but I always open to suggestions or recommendations if anyone has some. 

To anyone who takes the time to reply to this, I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you!

Loading replies...