Ramsey Arnaaoot
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Manual Fire Alarm in Philadelphia Mixed Use

Ramsey Arnaaoot
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted May 17 2018, 12:32

Hello all,

I own a CMX-2 zoned property with retail on the first floor, and a single rental unit with a separate entrance on floors 1-3.  Recently L&I made a surprise visit to the retail store and cited me for a violation of fire codes F-907.1 and F-907.5.1 - 

No fire alarm system inside property.  Owner must install a fire alarm system inside property.

At each manual fire alarm box a sign shall be mounted near the box that states: IN CASE OF FIRE SOUND ALARM AND CALL FIRE DEPARTMENT (or call 911)

No pull station inside rental property.

There are smoke detectors and a portable fire extinguisher in the retail unit.  I was not aware that a manual pull station is required, but I've confirmed with the fire department that in mixed-use buildings, a pull station is required that is hardwired to sound an alarm in the rental unit(s).  It seems like overkill, but it's the code.

Does anyone have recommendations for companies that can install and certify a manual fire alarm system?  The two closest companies gave me soft estimates of roughly $5000, which sounds absurd to me.  

Loading replies...