How difficult is it for adding extensions Bathrooms/Bedrooms

6 Replies

I'm looking at a duplex property in North Philly and the ground floor footprint is significantly larger than the top floor, so I'm hoping to move the second floor apt kitchen and bathroom adding space for another bedroom. I'm wondering how difficult the permit processing is. Sorry if this is a super novice question, I'm a super novice. 

Thank you,

Kien "Netic"

Hello Kien. I personally am not familiar with Philadelpha building permits. 

However I would ask, is this project worth it? How much extra rent could you get from the extra bedroom? This seems like a significant structural upgrade and you only benefit from 1 additional bedroom. The marginal benefit may not be worth the cost. You may want to invest the money into renovating the existing space. 

These are my initial thoughts. Perhaps you can enlighten me with more facts on the situation. 

@Kien Gallwey-Grant it would be a good idea for you to network for a good zoning expediter. I've found them to be the best resources for pushing approvals through the system, which in Philly, can be one of the biggest time vampires. I'll follow up in direct messages!

Originally posted by @Sathish Sekar :

Hello Kien. I personally am not familiar with Philadelpha building permits. 

However I would ask, is this project worth it? How much extra rent could you get from the extra bedroom? This seems like a significant structural upgrade and you only benefit from 1 additional bedroom. The marginal benefit may not be worth the cost. You may want to invest the money into renovating the existing space. 

These are my initial thoughts. Perhaps you can enlighten me with more facts on the situation. 

I'm not just looking at the rent which I believe I can get at least an extra $500/month from but the ARV when I refi. But that being said you still may be right. I will look into it more.

Thank you, Kien

@Kien Gallwey-Grant - instead of moving kitchen and bath.. can you just add a bedroom to the rear of the building? Most 3 bedroom row homes have that 3rd bedroom by building a 2nd floor rear addition (either solo or above a kitchen, etc on 1st floor)