City Permits not pulled

4 Replies

Hello all,

Have a question. I have an offer out on a house in Philadelphia that was rehabbed and we found out that no permits were pulled at the city for the rehab (new kitchen, HVAC, plumbing...etc). I am planning on renting this property out. Is this something that is normal? Should I be worried? Would I have any issues with the city?

They have accepted my offer but have indicated  it would be in "as-is" condition, which kind of worries me because it was rehabbed.  Why would say this on a rehabbed property?

TIA

Maneesh

T

I would stay away. If nobody pulled permit, the job was never inspected so there's no way to know what is really going on behind the walls. 

Originally posted by @Maneesh Joshi :

Hello all,

Have a question. I have an offer out on a house in Philadelphia that was rehabbed and we found out that no permits were pulled at the city for the rehab (new kitchen, HVAC, plumbing...etc).  I am planning on renting this property out.  Is this something that is normal?  Should I be worried?  Would I have any issues with the city?

They have accepted my offer but have indicated  it would be in "as-is" condition, which kind of worries me because it was rehabbed.  Why would say this on a rehabbed property?

TIA

Maneesh

T

Hey man. It's definitely a bad sign that permits were not pulled, but not the end of the world. If it's a good deal, you can have the place thoroughly inspected by a home inspector so you can get a good idea of any issues that may be there. I've seen properties that were done well without permits. Do you have an inspection contingency?

HI Chris @Chris Wyche   Thank you for you reply.  Actually I moved away from that place and actually put in a offer for another place that does not have permits.  This one does seem a bit different in that fact that the seller is going to provide the contractor information along with the sales receipts.  Also, the work was done about 4 years ago and they have tenants during that time so it makes me think that the work that was done was legit.  Like you mentioned if I get an accepted offer I am planning on getting the place thoroughly inspected and for the inspector to focus on the work that was not permitted.