BRRRR in Suburban (good schools) Philadelphia

BRRRR in Suburban (good schools) Philadelphia

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I saw a house yesterday that is gutted and cleaned out. New electric, roof, porch, plumbing, drywall. The work is solid but unfinished. Needs full bathroom (shower, toilet, sink, etc) and kitchen. After renovation value in the area is about $150k for old but livable, to $220k+ for nicely updated homes. There is a lot of construction happening in the area. Luxury apartments and single homes. Walking distance to the Philly train and Main St. w/ good breweries, restaurants and shops. They have an offer for $90k cash and wanted to know if I can top it. At $95k cash with a $45k renovation budget, do you think it’s still worth it?? The area is a Blue Ribbon school district BTW. Thank you!

0Reply
15 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Elaine Lai:

    I saw a house yesterday that is gutted and cleaned out. New electric, roof, porch, plumbing, drywall. The work is solid but unfinished. Needs full bathroom (shower, toilet, sink, etc) and kitchen. After renovation value in the area is about $150k for old but livable, to $220k+ for nicely updated homes. There is a lot of construction happening in the area. Luxury apartments and single homes. Walking distance to the Philly train and Main St. w/ good breweries, restaurants and shops. They have an offer for $90k cash and wanted to know if I can top it. At $95k cash with a $45k renovation budget, do you think it’s still worth it?? The area is a Blue Ribbon school district BTW. Thank you!

     Hi Elaine. I see this is an older post. What happened with the property?

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Chris Wyche I'm waiting for an estimate from my contractor. We spent over an hour at the property planning the rehab. He's advised I make a very low offer as he'll have to redo some of the finished work.

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Elaine Lai:

    @Chris Wyche I'm waiting for an estimate from my contractor. We spent over an hour at the property planning the rehab. He's advised I make a very low offer as he'll have to redo some of the finished work.

     Gotcha. Equity sounds decent. I can take a look at the comps if you'd like a second opinion on it. I'm a realtor

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    Watch out for the suburban taxes @Elaine Lai. If you are holding, higher taxes could eat all of your cashflow!

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 428 posts · 484 votes
    6y

    @Elaine Lai If you have a contractor that you trust verifying the 45k rehab budget in an area that is as good as you describe- get off the forums and beat that offer! I would be curious to know where the ARV is being derived from.

    @Garrett M. makes a good point about taxes if you are looking to rent but it seems like this is a flip play through and through and a job like that doesn't take so long that the holding costs via taxes would kill the deal for you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.