Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Harry Lin
Votes |
Help! Messy Situation and Need Advice ASAP

Harry Lin
Posted

I posted this on the landlord/tenant forum but also want some input on the Philly sub as the property is located in Philly. Mod - feel free to remove if I am violating any rules. Apologies in advance.

This is a complicated situation and sincerely hope everyone can give me some advice on what to do next. This is a long story but going to quickly summarize it below.

I purchased a property in Philadelphia on Sep 2017 and my dad had volunteered to watch/manage the property for me since he lives 2 hours away from the property. He hired a PM recommended by our relative who also owns investment in the area. We were able to secure a tenant within 2 weeks after hiring the PM.

Everything was going well, and the tenant was paying rent every month until 2 months ago. He lost his job and now is behind rent for the month of Sep and Oct (rent is due on the 15th of each month). He has also not been paying his water bill since the day he moved in. I had the bill send to both my personal address and the tenant’s address, but I had never received a water bill from the city of Philly. As a result, we owe about $650 in water bill from Sep 2017 to Apr 2019. The water company shut the water down on Apr 2019 and the tenant took it to himself to create another account without my or the PM’s permission. He has also never paid a single month for this new account and now owes about $300 in water bill from May 2019 to Sep 2019. Again, I was not aware of any of this until 2 weeks ago because I thought my dad/PM got it all under control.

Below is a breakdown of the tenant’s debt:

• $300 in Sep 2019 rent (paid $1K)
  • $1300 in Oct 2019 rent
  • $650 (under my name) and $300 (under Tenant name) in water bill

Total: $2.6KA

Once I took over, I immediately issued a notice to quit on 10/15 to him but was told that he accepted a new job that will pay him $100K, starting on 10/28 and his next paycheck will be on 11/15. He even forward an offer letter to me as prove (seems real/legit). He said he would pay off the remaining rent of $1.6K and the $650 in water bill. I told him maybe we can work out a plan for him to pay it all off in 4 months ($1.3K in rent + $650 for 4 months). The lease had long expired and now it is month to month.

Few days later, I asked if he had paid off the $300 in water bill (under his name) and he said he did. I called the city of Philly to confirm and was told he owes $300.

I called the tenant and was told he’s been paying it off every month and has a statement that shows a balance of $45. He sent me a screenshot of the statement with a balance of $45. I called the water company again and found out that page 2 of the statement shows that he’s pending approval for bankruptcy. He lied and did not mentioned about the bankruptcy.

It took a while for me to unwrap the whole situation because my dad/PM was managing the whole thing and this is a huge mistake on my end....... I am obviously very pissed and mad at them/myself but at the same time I just want to solve the situation.

Couple of other things....

1. PM set up a rental license but did not perform a certificate of suitability
  2. PM does not care about the whole situation and I am pretty much Googling and learning how to deal with the situation myself
  3. We have $1.3K in security deposit

I know I should fire the PM ASAP and hire someone that can help me walk through this process (any recommendations?), what else should i be aware of and should or should not be doing?

Should I evict this tenant ASAP? or wait until 11/15 to see if he makes that payment.

Sorry about this long but I desperately need some advice right now.

Loading replies...