Votes
Victoria Pham
  • Realtor
Votes |
PHILADELPHIA ZIPCODE 101

Victoria Pham
  • Realtor
Posted Sep 19 2020, 09:47

I've been working with a lot of out of state and newbie investors for the Philly market. They are experts in numbers and know what they want. However, they've struggled with understanding about the areas and where to best invest in, especially Philly is a block by block basis city. As a real estate consultant and local to Philly, I'm offering some of my insights about some common zipcodes that my investors often buy. 

19119 (Mount Airy, Northwest philly)

Similar to 19150 but maybe less desirable because it's a bit funky depending on certain areas in this zipcode. There are houses that are 150 ARV and half of a million dollars close to each other. Down near Wissahickon Ave (South of this zipcode), you'll see more high end homes whereas in Mt. Airy Ave, Chew Ave, Upsal…(North of the zipcode), you'll see houses around 150-185 ARV. But overall, it's a pretty decent zipcode

You’ll see higher home in North of it like 74th Ave, 72nd Ave, Limekiln Pike, ARV should be 200K. The further south you go, the weirder it gets. You can pick up a property that needs touch base of everything around 60-80K, ARV is about 150K. On the West side of Wister St, it has great rental and flip pocket, ARV is 150K. La Salle University is not far away from here, so you may be able to rent it out to students.

On the east side of Wister St, you'll see Belfield and it's unique because Belfield is in between two zipcodes (19138 and 19141). These two zipcodes are pretty consistent and similar though. The closer you get to the South, the more it's desirable. ARV 175-190K

This is also a part of Germantown, very unique zipcode. Some parts are really bad and some parts are just awesome. Most of the time, we’ll have deals coming up in North of this zipcode, South of Washington Ln to E Chester Ave. The closer to La Salle University, the worse it’ll get but it’s still good for rental properties. It’s more of a flip pocket. But the difference this zipcode makes is the other side of Germantown Ave, where Penn-Knox, Germantown is. You’ll see historic big half of a million houses in this area. The reason is mainly because of it’s by the Wissahickon park.

Undoubtedly, there are spots in this zipcode that are appreciating fastest in Philly. North of Roosevelt Blvd (Wyoming), you'll see a lot of properties pop up at 125-150K ish ARV. It's appreciating very rapidly tho. For the purchase price, we once sold a shell here at about only 30K. It's a great spot for investors to wait for appreciation in my opinion. Less than a year ago, it was a no name area and now investors start looking at it and buying more. Competition in this spot is not very high yet, so there is still room for you to come in now. The price is very affordable also. South of Roosevelt Blvd is mainly for rental properties. The closer you get to Hunting Park, the better. 120-135 ARV in this area. We also have Temple University Hospital in this area where you can rent it out to grad students, nurses…

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BOOMING, especially in the Olde Kensington area. You'll see big multi units, new constructions everywhere!!! Zoning RM1. Yorktown is very hard for find inventories but a great area to have rentals ‘cause it's by Temple University, pretty high value 250-300 ARV.

This is a big and diverse zipcode, has a lot of different values. The most popular pocket is anything from 25th St to Cecil B Moore Ave and 33rd Girard Ave (Brewerytown). Anything from west of 25th st to Ridge Ave is Sharswood. There is a big difference between these two. In Brewerytown, you can still find big RM1 Land, and multiunits. The closer you are to Girard, the more desirable it is. The reason is that in 19130 next to it, Francisville and Fairmount have always been a good neighborhood, very family oriented. We also have Girard College, a good private school. So down in the south of Brewerytown, near Girard, if you can just get a shell 2 story house for 100-150K, that's already great, 325-350 ARV. Anything north of Brewerytown, it could be a steal if you get a purchase of around 135K, ARV could be 200-300. The reason Brewerytown is hot is because of the expansion of the city from 19130.

Anything above Cecil B Moore Ave, around Montgomery Ave (the red triangle in the picture I draw for you), it's hard to get the right price because they like to think it's Brewerytown, but it's not. Price should be picked up at around 70K. You'll have to do a good damn rehab in this pocket to get it to 200-250 ARV, like putting 80-90K in work.

For the blue triangle I draw for you, close to Fairmount Park, which I believe is one of the largest parks in PA, the closer you are to the park, the better it is. If you drive along 33rd St, you’ll see massive huge multi family. A great place for rental properties. This area is gonna explode. It’s not a matter of what but of when.

In the west of this zipcode, investors often buy from 17th st to Temple University. A very good pocket for rental as well. ARV 200-250. The closer to Temple University, the more desirable. Sharswood is okay, not that great. The closer to Girard and South and Broad St, the better.

South Philly:

One of the hottest zipcode in the country for a very long time. North of Washington Ave is considered graduate hospital. You'll see big 3 story row home, young population but we don't normally have a lot of inventories in this area. It's pretty high end. 300K purchase and 500-750 ARV. South side of Washington Ave is Point Breeze and New Bold. Purchase price is around 150K, 285-300 ARV. With properties in these areas, it's very consistent that you gut it totally, dig the basement. You're just looking for good bone property in these areas. There were so many people looking to flip in Point Breeze and New Bold that the price was too high for people to buy a home to live in. But the people who were looking to buy are often young professionals and they don't have enough money to buy with a high price. So Point Breeze and New Bold experienced a deflated price 2 years ago. It's happening exactly in Grays Ferry now. The price of the property got hammered in this area, arv 265-280K.

South of Spruce St, from 63rd st to west of 52nd st is Cobbs Creek has been exploded in the past a year and a half. The closer you’re to 52nd st, the better. The further west you go, the cheaper you'll get for the price. This is 90% row homes area. There is a little corner near Motivation High School, right the border with Delco (Delaware County) you'll see big twins, 250-300 ARV. In Cobbs Creek overall, ARV should be 185-200, if it's closer to 52nd St, it’ll be 225-250.

It gets more different as you cross the Baltimore Ave (big yellow line in the map). Cedar Park and Squirrel Hill are where university of science is . Overhere, you’ll get crazy good looking characters of things, half of million dollar houses. You’ll find big renovated twins in this area. New constructions are everywhere. This area is super valuable. It’s also close to 19104, where Penn and Drexel are. That zipcode is students rental pocket, very good but we don’t have a lot of deals overthere.

Going down to Kingsessing, it used to be a taboo and no one would touch anything there, but over the past two years, investors start looking at it. 150-175K ARV, Kingsessing is Cobbs Creek two years ago and I think this area will grow fast in the foreseeable future.

19153 (SouthWest Philly)

We don't normally have a lot of inventories in this area but it's awesome down here close to the airport. Island Ave is the hot button road. Anything up of Eastwick, you'll get solid 150-160K super solid ARV all day long with very low days on market. Homes are very wide and big. However, the entry price is a bit high in this area, anything around 80-90K would be a steal in this pocket. People love to rent in this pocket, very high rental income. Overall, it's just a very solid zipcode

There are more zipcodes in Philly, let me know what you want me to write about. I can do part 2 if you find this helpful. Enjoy and let me know how I can help!

Loading replies...