Allentown Trulia Crime Map

5 Replies

I've been looking in the Lehigh Valley / Allentown area recently. I just wanted to get a little more familiar with certain areas of Allentown in terms of safety. I've heard of rules like never buy anything in an alleyway, don't buy in Center City, etc. I took a screenshot of what Trulia thinks is safe/dangerous and I would love to hear the veterans on any rule of thumbs they have on Allentown.

Stay off alleys downtown, other than that, good rule of thumb is the further west you go from Ridge,  the better it is. But in all honesty, things can happen anywhere. I’ve had violent tenant issues in west end buildings and some of my center city stuff hasnt seen a crime during my ownership. Center city as a whole is the worst as your map suggests, but it doesnt affect your ability to rent for the most part.

Dont bu anything on the 300 block of law, the 400-500 block of Liberty, or 900 block of Liberty. Those are pretty rough areas.

Originally posted by @Joe C :

Dont bu anything on the 300 block of law, the 400-500 block of Liberty, or 900 block of Liberty. Those are pretty rough areas.

Got it. I definitely agree that crime could happen anywhere and I am open to owning something in a rougher area as long as the numbers are right. But it was good to get your take on areas that you would not buy under any circumstance. 

before you buy, talk to the neighbors and people walking around, about what they think about the area you are about to purchase a property in; they may have good insight that you will not find out anywhere else on the area you are about to buy in. 

Originally posted by @Josh July :

before you buy, talk to the neighbors and people walking around, about what they think about the area you are about to purchase a property in; they may have good insight that you will not find out anywhere else on the area you are about to buy in. 

+1 exactingly

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here