• Investor
  • Newnan, GA
Votes |
HVAC help in Columbia

Jacob Edmond
  • Investor
  • Newnan, GA
Posted Sep 23 2015, 16:43

I bought my house in May. And made it almost through summer with no issues, but in August our outdoor air handler blower motor would periodically cutoff and not come back on. We have to shutoff the unit and turn it back in and it would fine again, for awhile. 

We had just gotten our electric panel and service upgraded the day before we started having issues. So I initially assumed they missed something when hooking up the new panel. I called the electrician back out and he said everything appears to be working fine now. I don't see anything wrong. His dad was an HVAC handyman so he sent hi. Out the next day. He topped off the coolant, but also said everything seems to be fine now.

We still had issues after that, so the next day I got an HVAC company to come out. It was working fine them too, but the blower capacitor was reading weak, so he replaced that and said to wait and see if that does it. It worked great for about 24 hours, longer than before. And then we noticed it was getting hot again, and check the vents, and it had stopped blowing again. Still the compressor was running though, just the blower stopped.

We called back and they came out and replaced the control board for the blower. Again, we didn't notice any issues for a couple of days then, but again the blower cut off. At this point I was getting tired of racking up a tab to this company and I decided to get a new thermostat to see if that might make a difference. I had been wanting to get a Nest anyway.

I bought a nest, installed it and it seems like it was working grest, but after a couple of says the blower stopped again. It came right back on after restarting though, and at this point we are questioning our own sanity and whether we are imagining this or not. So we waited a few days until last weekend when it shutoff like 3 times. So Monday I called the same HVAC company back and told them nothing has been fixed yet and I need them to send someone out to look at it again. He came out yesterday, and of course the unit was working perfectly the whole time. He checked everything it seemed, and I told him again about upgrading out main panel, so he checked to make sure the breakers were compatible (?) And said we could replace the relwy switch and see if that does it. Theydidn't call me today to say they had sent someone to do so, so I don't think they replaced it yet, but when I came home tonight the blower was off again. I have been home for an hour and have restarted 4 times and ea check time it has cut off within 10 minutes.

I'm at a loss at this point and I don't want to give this company any more money, and I don't feel like they are capable of fixing it at this point. 

Any suggestions or ideas? This seems insane to me. And I know almost nothing about hvac.

My unit has a gas pack for heat and electric ac.