House Hacking in Houston

4 Replies

Hello everyone, I am getting ready to buy my first house in Houston which I plan to house hack. I was looking around near the UH main campus since I study there and know many students, and also have a good relationship with my fraternity brothers. The problem is that the properties that I can afford near the campus are in bad neighborhoods (sunnyside&south park). I'm still looking for houses within the loop and I would like some advice on how I can attract and find good tenants before my first mortgage payment? 

@Account Closed welcome to BP...The MLS would be my suggestion if you are looking for good tenants.....and also make sure you do a background check concerning their jobs, credit score and previous landlords.

Just like Kevin have said, you have to do all of that background check concerning their jobs, credit score and previous landlords. However, there's still a risk of being a landlord. 

I would strongly suggest to hire a property management to manage your property and dealing with tenants when it comes to legal issues. 

Read Brandon Turner's book on Managing Rental Properties.  There's a lot to it, but if you've got one unit to manage, you can totally do it yourself.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here