Investor Friendly Plumber

6 Replies | Houston, Texas

Hello BP!

I am first time investor evaluating a deal for a semi-distressed property.  Just found out there are multiple leaks in the under slab cast iron, and the retail quotes have been high.  Can anyone recommend an investor friendly plumber for this kind of work?  This quote is basically for creating an entirely new drainage system, re-routing all (or most all) of the interior water drains, trenching out to the city drop, etc.

Thanks,

Randy

An investor friendly plumber is going to charge the same as a regular plumber .  

Contractors dont care if you are an investor , work is work .  Their insurance , labor costs , and all other expenses dont go down when they work for an  "Investor" . 

A job costs what it costs .

Now to save money , you could bust out all the concrete and do the digging and remove all the old pipe . 

Just a quick update, I walked the property and I am backing out.  There is too much other stuff going on, not enough room for the risk I feel.

But for future benefit, still discussing the scenario.  Its in Houston, TX.  I'm not looking for bottom dollar, I still want good and dependable plumber.  My initial research on this site actually, someone recommended finding a local investor-friendly plumber.  I believe the rationale was that a job like this (xx feet of tunnel, xxx feet of trench), a consumer-focused plumber would do all the work, presumably at plumber rates.  Whereas a builder or investor plumber might be more creative around what pieces of the job could be outsourced.

You can save money on certain things, like maybe a painter or a landscaper.  But HVAC and plumbing, those are expensive fixes when something goes wrong.

Randy, too bad that deal did not work out for you, but smart of you to identify a large ticket item that wasn't in your budget before you bought the place.  I always look for investor friendly contractors, there is a difference.  In my experience, its a benefit to the contractor, knowing that you will potentially use them on future jobs and might keep some of them pretty darn busy.  And being up front with them, disclosing that you are an investor and a competitive bid is a big consideration for you, doesn't hurt.  It doesn't cost what it costs.  Almost two years ago, I needed all new pex lines, and drain lines, ran in the house.  I received estimates from $2600 to $25,000.  You can save money setting up contractor accounts with wholesale window suppliers, plumbing, roofing, siding, flooring companies etc.  A good source for investor friendly contractors is to ask these suppliers for installers/contractors they might recommend.  As Kramer once said, "paying retail is for suckers".  Good luck to you.