Texas and Bexar County-compliant Residential Lease Agreements

Texas and Bexar County-compliant Residential Lease Agreements

Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes

Hey all!  

Was wondering what many of you self-managers of your properties use to construct a Residential Lease Agreement and a move-in/move-out checklist.  I found a few online, but wonder if I should build my own and have a lawyer vet it to ensure it's compliant with TX laws.  I have other properties, but use a manager so I haven't had to deal with this yet until now with my most recent purchase.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Manuel Escobar:

I use TREC forms only.  They cover all bases.


 TREC does not produce a lease agreement.  I assume you are talking about a TAR lease?

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Seth TeelPro Member
    Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 596 posts · 587 votes
    4y

    There is TXR-2006 Residential Lease Inventory and Condition Form from the Texas Association of Realtors.  Google it and you'll find a link to download it. 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    I use TREC forms only.  They cover all bases.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Manuel Escobar:

    I use TREC forms only.  They cover all bases.


     TREC does not produce a lease agreement.  I assume you are talking about a TAR lease?

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    4y

    @James Kovarovic I've used apartments.com leases in the past.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg H.:
    Quote from @Manuel Escobar:

    I use TREC forms only.  They cover all bases.


     TREC does not produce a lease agreement.  I assume you are talking about a TAR lease?




    Yes correct, TAR forms for leases and inventory. I was thinking TREC resale K.
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Seth Teel:

    There is TXR-2006 Residential Lease Inventory and Condition Form from the Texas Association of Realtors.  Google it and you'll find a link to download it. 

     @Seth Teel Thank you!  I'll look into it.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Greg H.@Manuel Escobar

    Thank you!  I'd found one online but wondered how up to date it is.  I'll base how I proceed off the one I found.  Much appreciated!

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Conner Olsen  I'll check those out too.  Thanks!

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Seth Teel:

    There is TXR-2006 Residential Lease Inventory and Condition Form from the Texas Association of Realtors.  Google it and you'll find a link to download it. 


     A form from 2006 is very outdated. I get that its free, but not worth the risk in post-covid eviction these days.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:

    @James Kovarovic I've used apartments.com leases in the past.


    Is it for a SFR? or shared apartment with interior unit only? I'd think that form is not really appropriate either

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:

    @James Kovarovic I've used apartments.com leases in the past.


    Is it for a SFR? or shared apartment with interior unit only? I'd think that form is not really appropriate either


    It's a SFR.

    What are your thoughts on management websites (Rentredi, TurboTenant, etc.)?  They supposedly generate state-compliant rental agreements.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @James Kovarovic:
    Quote from @Ronald Rohde:
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:

    @James Kovarovic I've used apartments.com leases in the past.


    Is it for a SFR? or shared apartment with interior unit only? I'd think that form is not really appropriate either


    It's a SFR.

    What are your thoughts on management websites (Rentredi, TurboTenant, etc.)?  They supposedly generate state-compliant rental agreements.


     They are all OK. same for the BP lease, its compliant and satisfactory, but its not tailored to anything special about the property/properties or your goals as an investor. We saw problems with "form leases" during covid. Lots of ambiguity and wiggle room. 

    To be honest, whether its worth it, is how many times you'll use it. If you only have one rental, is a lease worth $2,000? Probably not.

    If you have 5 rentals, that cost is $500 per asset. Much better deal.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Ronald Rohde  Thanks for the insight.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.