House hacking in San Antonio?

9 Replies | San Antonio, Texas

I'm considering moving to San Antonio. I'm looking at houses online and emailed a realtor but there are just so many areas. I'm hoping to get advice from those of you that live or invest in the area. Is it possible to successfully house hack or are we better to just buy a single family home and then invest separately? We are a young family (2 kids) so good public schools in a nice safe area is important. We don't want to be right downtown (and probably can't afford to be) but we want less than a 45 minute commute to the airport as my husband will be traveling often.  I saw a few brand new 4plexes in New Braunfels. I was also thinking if we went a little more into the country maybe we could find a bigger property with a second small house that could bring in rental income. Do you see very many of these properties? I've searched loopnet, redfin, realtor, & zillow for multifamily but nothing that looks promising. Any locals have tips on buying a primary residence?

Hi Amanda, 

My wife, Cathy, and I are REALTORS in the San Antonio for over 20. I have lived here my whole life and would love to tell you about our wonderful city. However, it’s hot here and so is the temperature, haha. 

Reno

Depending on your budget, you may live Alamo hill, or Selma, along 35 to New Braunfels, invest in converse to Kirby.

Around sea world also good, along 1604. House hack multi plex is not easy, I personally not want to live close to my tenant. It is weird 2 to 4 plex is over priced   Here. 

San Antonio covers a big area. There are many, many areas to choose from. A big part of your decision will depend on your income and how much you want to spend. Make a few trips out here and meet with some investors and realtors. Get a feel for the areas and see what area makes you comfortable.

Originally posted by @Amanda N. :

I'm considering moving to San Antonio. I'm looking at houses online and emailed a realtor but there are just so many areas. I'm hoping to get advice from those of you that live or invest in the area. Is it possible to successfully house hack or are we better to just buy a single family home and then invest separately? We are a young family (2 kids) so good public schools in a nice safe area is important. We don't want to be right downtown (and probably can't afford to be) but we want less than a 45 minute commute to the airport as my husband will be traveling often.  I saw a few brand new 4plexes in New Braunfels. I was also thinking if we went a little more into the country maybe we could find a bigger property with a second small house that could bring in rental income. Do you see very many of these properties? I've searched loopnet, redfin, realtor, & zillow for multifamily but nothing that looks promising. Any locals have tips on buying a primary residence?

Hi Amanda, I recently (February) relocated to SA from NorCal as well. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. I currently live in the Tobin Hill Neighborhood. Its' great, but I currently just rent. It's about a 15 min ride to the airport from here. Best of Luck!

Originally posted by @Nicholas Miller :

What is this "house hack"?

It is a BP-coined term referring to living in a room of a SFH and renting out the other rooms OR living in one unit of a MFH and renting out the other units to reduce (or remove) your out of pocket mortgage expense.