Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Seattle Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Damian P.
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
Owner Occupied Home in Renton

Damian P.
  • Bellevue, WA
Posted Aug 6 2019, 23:25

Hello Seattle BP, 

I'm considering purchasing an owner occupied home in the Renton, WA area for a first time home purchase. With a lot of growth in general in the Bellevue area - Facebook adding large offices in Bellevue, aAmazon moving HQ2 to Bellevue - I feel the area should appreciate. Will need to use FHA to get into a home sooner than later, as apartment lease is up Q1 of 2020, and I don't want to spend another full year under a lease. I would prefer a SFH over an apartment/condo, for the extra space, as well as for the yard for my dog. My target range is from $350,000 - $420,000. I will put 3-10% down and then sprint to build to 20% equity ASAP.

Does anybody have experience in the Renton area? I'm finding nice homes in the Cascade-Fairwood area; would it be reasonable to believe it would be easy to rent a 3 bedroom this far away from Bellevue/Seattle? I want to stay southeast/east of I5, as areas closer to I5 tend to seem rough. Newcastle/Factoria is nice, but then you are getting out of my price range. What are other good neighborhoods to look for?

Best case scenario, I would be able to get positive cashflow renting it after living in it for at least a year. 

With 3.5% down on $400,000 3 bedroom/1-2 bath ($14,000), that puts me at about a $2,442/month lease, including PMI at 1% total loan, with yearly taxes at $3,000, annual home insurance at $1,000. If I build to 20%, and assuming interest rates stay low 4%, once I hit 20% equity, refinance, I'm looking at around $1,815/month mortgage.

Rent prices on Rentometer range from $1,800 - $2,300 depending on what area you are in. Unfortunately, Cascade-Fairwood seems to be closer to the $1,800 range, I'm assuming because it's farther away from everything. 

If you've made it this far, thank you! Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions? 

Loading replies...