Direct Mail - Seattle

Direct Mail - Seattle

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP! First post here from a new investor in the Seattle area.

Wondering what successes/lessons learned others have had with direct mail over the past few months.

On the open market, we're looking at super limited inventory right now with many places closing $100k+ over list price. As a new buyer using financing, it's been difficult to rise to the top of the offer pool on listed properties. Pretty tough to get a good deal right now going the traditional route.

Instead, I'm turning to direct mail for duplexes in south Seattle/Renton in hopes of going seller direct. Pulling duplex data from ListSource or city planning offices, then writing personalized letters and mailing them out to the owners. I'm expecting my rate of return to be around 2-3%. So, if I send mail to 400 owners, maybe I get interest from 10 and write offers on 5.

Would love to hear if anyone else has been doing this, and what your experience has been.

Thanks!

3Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael HaasBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
5y

@Jack Perkins we haven't seen 2-3% response rates since 2012-2015, before the market got really hot. Now we're seeing about 1%, maybe 2% when using handwritten letters, brightly colored envelopes, pictures of you or your family (bonus points if you have a dog), etc to grab attention. Besides revising down your expectations a bit the strategy is sound if you can execute it consistently for 6-18 months!

HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jack Perkins, if you want to go with the route of direct mail, consistency and mail volume are always advised. Do not spend too much time on analyzing the deals before you hear back from the potential seller because the reponse rate is pretty low. 

    Once you hear back from a potential seller, now is the time to do full due diligence

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Sherief Elbassuoni - thank you for the feedback. This make sense... low response rate means volume and consistency are essential.

  • Wholesaler · Member since 2020 · 140 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    Just send out more mail. Offer less or cut my offers, I found I was overpricing. Reach is important when selling. I think your return expectations may be a little high, my advice would be to scale and send out a lot more offers than that. Also look at diversifying and adding land or something else.

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Jack Perkins we haven't seen 2-3% response rates since 2012-2015, before the market got really hot. Now we're seeing about 1%, maybe 2% when using handwritten letters, brightly colored envelopes, pictures of you or your family (bonus points if you have a dog), etc to grab attention. Besides revising down your expectations a bit the strategy is sound if you can execute it consistently for 6-18 months!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Everett, wa 98201 · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    Good morning! Direct mail is a great idea. That's certainly thinking outside the box to get into a home! Direct mail is also something that I've considered doing too. My understanding is that the response rate is abysmal on the first mailing but the contact rate will increase with the frequency of mailings.  It may take a few mailings in order to see some responses. Popular opinion is don't just do one mailing. Do at least 4. I hope this works for you! I have my fingers crossed that you find what you are looking for sooner, rather than later! Have a great weekend!

  • Wholesaler · Member since 2020 · 140 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    Hi @Kim Synow - not true at ALL. I actually don't mail areas more than once (unless I'm circling back years later). My results are MUCH lower and for lower quality properties each next time around. It isn't worth my money or time. Just send more mail to different areas, new sizes, etc. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Everett, wa 98201 · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Reed:

    Hi @Kim Synow - not true at ALL. I actually don't mail areas more than once (unless I'm circling back years later). My results are MUCH lower and for lower quality properties each next time around. It isn't worth my money or time. Just send more mail to different areas, new sizes, etc. 

    That's excellent to hear! Thank you for telling me (us) that, I may rework my marketing approach to test this. Thanks again!

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thank you everyone for your feedback. The consistent themes seem to be --

    1. All about volume

    2. Consistency is key

    3. Personalization will catch the eye (more important for homes vs. land)

    Will update on my progress!

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Hey Jack,

    I just started a direct mail campaign up in Marysville last week and only sent out about 180 postcards, but I drove for dollars to build my list. If you have a quality list you might be able to sneak by with less volume but I'm still preparing to send out mail every month and a half or so through end of summer. I'll connect with you and let you know what I learn!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.