Buying a house by the freeway. Bad idea?

Buying a house by the freeway. Bad idea?

Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes

I got my offer accepted on a house by the I-5 in Seattle. I can't hear the freeway noise inside the house but the fact that I got it under list price in this market makes me worried that it might not sell in future if there's no sellers market. It's in center of  Seattle city. Should I back out of the deal? 

0Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 12 votes
4y

In Seattle, freeway noise can be just part of life.  With traffic fairly horrendous for commuting, if you are near a freeway exit, the location could actually be a very good thing as a rental.  It might make it a little harder to sell down the line, so it depends on your goals in buying the property.  Will you be flexible in choosing when it's time to sell, or do you have a specific timeline?  Does the house already have noise-blocking improvements like windows?  That could help with resale when that time comes, or for maintaining good tenants.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 2k+ posts 路 899 votes
    5y

    if you  chose to  rent it -  could the likely rental income cover the mtg payment ?   might be a good one to hold onto and rent 

  • Realtor 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2020 路 36 posts 路 19 votes
    5y

    Does your agent have any insight as to what the negatives might be? I'm happy to give my opinion of pros/cons if you want to send me the address. 

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    5y

    @Dave for the neighborhood,  yes. But I'm not sure if rental demand will also be lower due to the Interstate noise. Seller says it was renting for X price which would cover the new mortgage but I haven't seen any reports. I can try and ask them. Thanks for your response.

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    5y

    @Brie Thanks for your response. I sent you a connection request and added the address in the invite message. Would appreciate any inputs to help me make a decision. Thank you 馃檹

  • Specialist 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2018 路 26 posts 路 26 votes
    5y

    @Manju Nat @Manju Nat it comes down to the local market and your investment strategy. I do believe there are certain demographics that go for properties for their proximity to major roads and highways.

    I鈥檓 currently looking at property with the highway sound barrier wall at the end of the property line. I鈥檝e driven pass it at different times of the day throughout the week to gauge traffic and noise level. Besides the physical appearance, there wasn鈥檛 much difference.

    It's prime for people who use the highway daily for their commute which in Philly could include Jersey or Delaware, quick access to a highway and/or bridge is ideal. I was one of those people. Think in terms of how apartment complexes are marketed to renters vs. SFH. It could also work well for STR.

    If you factor in improvements that mitigate the downsides of a property near highways and freeways into your rehab equation there could be a win. A proven cash flowing property isn鈥檛 hard to sell to another investor. Also possible to sell to would-be home buyers who value accessibility.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Manju Nat the most important factor in buying real estate is location. I would rather overpay in a good location than underpay in a bad location. 

    I have no details on your location and specifics of the deal, so I am not giving you specific advice. Center of the city probably means close to everything, so that could be good. Noise is subjective, one person may not care, another may go crazy listening to it. 

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    5y

    @Joe Thanks for your response. It is in a great neighborhood but the noise is the main concern with this house because of I5 and the freeway. 

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    5y

    @Leonard The noise wasn't too bad during the daytime but when I went in then night I could hear it inside  the house  due to more interstate traffic, which is what got me worried

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    5y

    Update: I got out of this deal and bought a duplex instead. Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Everett, WA 路 Member since 2020 路 11 posts 路 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Manju Nat:

    Update: I got out of this deal and bought a duplex instead. Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs!

    What was the ultimate reason you left the property? Was it because of the noise issue? 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Seattle 路 Member since 2019 路 50 posts 路 21 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Noblitt:
    Originally posted by @Manju Nat:

    Update: I got out of this deal and bought a duplex instead. Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs!

    What was the ultimate reason you left the property? Was it because of the noise issue? 

     Curious to know the same and also where you ended up buying the duplex

  • Member since 2021 路 38 posts 路 15 votes
    4y

      I bought 

    @Benjamin Noblitt Yes, the noise and the fact that there were no other bids in this red hot market concerned me about the resale potential.

    @Ryan Lehman Duplex is in Everett.

  • Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 12 votes
    4y

    In Seattle, freeway noise can be just part of life.  With traffic fairly horrendous for commuting, if you are near a freeway exit, the location could actually be a very good thing as a rental.  It might make it a little harder to sell down the line, so it depends on your goals in buying the property.  Will you be flexible in choosing when it's time to sell, or do you have a specific timeline?  Does the house already have noise-blocking improvements like windows?  That could help with resale when that time comes, or for maintaining good tenants.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.