Milwaukee Lawyer

9 Replies | Milwaukee, Wisconsin

My husband and I are looking at multi-family homes to buy (first time!) recently. I heard it is best to get an attorney when closing (we have an agent), is it necessary in WI? If so, can you recommend some lawyers specialize in this? 

Also we would definitely want an attorney to help with the contracts when renting. Can you refer some good ones specialize in contracts?

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Rebecca Holmes:

Atty. Marty Greenberg is located inside Summit Title's office.  Our preferred title company is Summit Title and Marty helps us a lot.

Thank you! 

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

You're welcome. In WI, we close with Title companies. If we do deals in IL, than we have to use an attorney.  Other title companies in WI that I've used besides Dona Myers at Summit Title were Land Title-Jackie Brown, US Title-Janet Totero, and Fidelity Title-Chad Cooley. My experience with all of them was positive.  

Originally posted by @Yiyi Guo :

My husband and I are looking at multi-family homes to buy (first time!) recently. I heard it is best to get an attorney when closing (we have an agent), is it necessary in WI? If so, can you recommend some lawyers specialize in this? 

Also we would definitely want an attorney to help with the contracts when renting. Can you refer some good ones specialize in contracts?

Thank you!

it is not customary to use an attorney in Milwaukee.  WI is a title only state so the title company and the agent do all the work.  Some states are not title only (IL for example) where you pretty much need an attorney to open escrow 

WI also has state approved contracts and leases.  You can go to www.wilegalblank.com and get the most updated versions 

I'm happy to help with LL / tenant issues, often without charge.  If a project is something for which I would need to open a file (i.e. charge you) I would let you know well in advance and you could shop around, etc.  I offer up the help only because I'm new to real estate investing and want to help where I can in the hope other will help me where needed.  My background is in commercial litigation.  PM me (I can't message you b/c I don't have a pro account), and I'll send you a link to my firm profile and I think you'll see clearly I'm at a well regarded firm near MKE, etc.  Feel free to call me anytime, just happy to talk real estate issues.  

Goes for anyone needing help in MKE.