Property Management Software Canada

10 Replies

Hey BiggerPockets,

I am looking for a property management software. I have done a ton of research and I feel a little overwhelmed at the amount of options. I have 9 doors currently, but I am definitely looking to expand. 

I have found some great tools, but I am not sure if they are all Canadian friendly. I want tenants to be able to pay rent online, so maybe I just need a separate tool for rent payment and a desperate tool for PM.

Anyone have any input? So far I am interested in:

Buildium

123Landlord

Rentec Direct

TentantCloud (because its free)

@Nate Schaly

Nate, I'll first state that it has been some time since I looked at on-line property management software (2+ years).  At that time neither Buildium or Rentec supported the Canadian market.   While you could use the basic functionality, but somethings - specifically on the financial side - will not work here.  There will also be no builtin understanding of Canadian leasing regulations.

1(506) 471-4126

Have you considered Quickbooks?  I know it is accounting software, but there is a great little program called "accountant in a box" that can support set up of a real estate portfolio. Many people use this, as they already have Quickbooks for accounting. Just a suggestion to explore   www.quickbooks.intuit.ca   And from Joey Ragona, The Engaged Investor, https://courses.engagedinvestor.ca/store/E63v69nq. (A small price to pay for a custom Canadian program that does it all in property management.  It's another option to explore, especially if you have Quickbooks already.   Hope this helps.

Cheers, Debbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am not sure if Quickbooks is right for me. I am looking for something more property management based, as I am looking into large multi-families with a current investor. 

I would like to be able to automate some tasks and be able to provide various investors access to reports and financials. 

Does anyone know if 123Landlord is Canadian Friendly?

It sounds like I may need to use a suite of software / vendors being located in Canada:

1) PM Software - General

2) Online rent payment vendor - Canada Based

3) Accounting software - Canada Based

4) Tenant Screening - Canada Based

Smart Property Systems is Canadian friendly especially for rent collection automation.  This software is affordable and user friendly.  It is recently built so the technology is current. And they are still adding new features so you actually can have input about what is built.  

{Moderator's Note:  In the interest of disclosure, Ms. Ryerson is affiliated with Smart Property Systems}

Originally posted by @Timmi Ryerson :

Smart Property Systems is Canadian friendly especially for rent collection automation.  This software is affordable and user friendly.  It is recently built so the technology is current. And they are still adding new features so you actually can have input about what is built.  

{Moderator's Note:  In the interest of disclosure, Ms. Ryerson is affiliated with Smart Property Systems}

I took a quick scan through the information on the website and saw no indication the system can operate in CAD (for rent collection and bill payment).  

1(506) 471-4126

@Roy N.

I also went through the whole site and came up with the same results. 

Smart property Systems has Canadian Companies for who automated rent collection is in operation.  The processor used is Forte and funds can be collected from Canadian tenants and deposited into Canadian Accounts. Roy N and Nate Schaly.  That information is not listed on the website.

Make sure you find someone that incorporates tenant screening! Best of luck

@Madeline Burke I am struggling to find a Canadian friendly software that has that capability unfortunately. I may end up having to use several suites of software to do what I need.

@Nate Schaly I'm sorry to hear that! The race is on in the US among free property management services, so I'm sure it won't be long. In the mean time have you heard of RentingWell? Its like what you already named but pretty cheap, still no rent payments though :(

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.