Robyn Thompson's junkers to millions boot camp

Robyn Thompson's junkers to millions boot camp

Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 19 votes

Has anyone ever attended Robyn Thompson (the queen of rehab) Junkers to millions 5 day boot camp, if so what did you think of it and more importantly is it working for you?

0Reply
196 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

I love how people give themselves titles. For now on, I'm going to be Aaron Mazzrillo - "King of Content." With 67% vote ratio on my posts, (probably the highest on BP) that makes me an expert and you should listen to everything I say. LOL

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    12y

    No, I have not, but I can tell you from personal experience that the main purpose of these boot camps is to upsell you to a more expensive program or training (listen to Tom Sylvester's podcast to get an idea of what can happen). I can't imagine anything Ms. Thompson can teach you can't be learned if you spend some time on BP.

    I think you could really benefit from reading, if you haven't already, BP's Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    You have posted today in a short time questions about non-performing notes, tax liens and now flipping. I would recommend you pick one niche/strategy to focus on, get really, really good at it, and then branch out from there. That's what most successful investors do, as you'll notice if you listen to the podcasts.

    Good luck!

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Sharon Tzib for your reply, I'm not actually new to real estate investing, I have been doing this since 2006, buying and holding that is. I started rehabbing to sale last year, I only did one, but I started in the middle of last year. I looking for good deals now, but am having trouble finding them, that's why I was asking about robyn's program. Believe me I know about some of the programs with the big upsale lol. I have never purchased a tax lien, but I am curious about it, especially here in texas. thank you for looking out for me though, I appreciate all the comments I receive on here.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    12y

    Oh cool! Yeah, was just trying to look out for ya :)

    Ankit Duggal has been doing a series on tax liens lately. If you haven't seen his articles, here's the latest:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/01/15/start-investing-tax-lien-deeds/

    Good luck, my friend!

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @ I will check it out, thanks.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I am a successful student of Robyn's. I had invested prior, and done several flips as well as buy and holds. She's got an information packed 5 days. If you don't learn a ton - it's because you weren't listening. I've attended several of the conferences from the "gurus". Robyn's by far has the most content, and the least amount of selling - and those other speakers that do speak, are typically things a new investor needs, or will need in the future. It's not a sale-a-thon like some events I've been to. Best part is that you can attend her bootcamp for life, for no additional cost - which is good, I doubt you'll get all of it on the first go-round.

    I highly recommend you attend her boot camp. Had I done so, it would have saved me a lot aggrevation, and put a lot more dollars in my pocket sooner. Oh well. Live and learn. Can't say enough good things about Robyn though. She's the real deal, with great information.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    @Evan Purser you'll have to forgive my skeptism. Your first two posts on the site wax poetic about this guru. But you're short on specifics. Please describe a deal that you were able to do using her techniques that you would not have done without paying for her courses.

    IMHO, its not that these gurus provide no value. Rather its that they charge exorbitant prices for their material and its nothing earth shattering. They all like to make out that they know some secret nobody else does. In reality there's nothing in this business that's not been done for decades. If you pay several grand for information that lets you make a bunch of money, great. Even if the information is easily available for a fraction of the price (or free), if it lets you make money, its worth it. Where I have a problem is all the "selling of a dream" of quick and easy riches with no investment of time or money on your part. If this guru is not doing that and is providing worthwhile information, more power to her.

    But how about some specifics? Deals done and money made, not just words of praise.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I love how people give themselves titles. For now on, I'm going to be Aaron Mazzrillo - "King of Content." With 67% vote ratio on my posts, (probably the highest on BP) that makes me an expert and you should listen to everything I say. LOL

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Evan Purser:
    I highly recommend you attend her boot camp. Had I done so, it would have saved me a lot aggrevation, and put a lot more dollars in my pocket sooner. Oh well. Live and learn. Can't say enough good things about Robyn though. She's the real deal, with great information.

    Just curious, how many 'guest speakers' came in and pitched you other products while you attending this 'information packed' 5 day bootcamp? I bet at least 4.

    Aaron Mazzrillo - King of Content

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @ thank you for your comments.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y

    Attending a boot camp will certainly help the guru putting on the boot camp to become a millionaire, I seriously doubt it will help the attendees much.

    Honest to God, I could not afford the cut in pay required to start hosting seminars and boot camps. That leads me to believe they aren't actually doing what they are trying to teach.

    Oh and don't hand me that crap about "giving back" or any of the guru variations on it. If that were their motivation, they wouldn't charge beyond the cost required to produce and refunds would be easy and a no brainer.

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 609 posts · 163 votes
    12y

    I just absolutely love when I get on a thread and @Aaron Mazzrillo is making comments.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Thomas Manuel I've never even heard of her.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Thomas Manuel:
    I looking for good deals now, but am having trouble finding them, that's why I was asking about robyn's program.

    I've seen Robyn speak at several free REIA meetings in the past few years (all upsell for her 1 day course, which I imagine was upsell for her bootcamp). I also know a couple people who paid the $4000 or so for the bootcamp.

    Here was the gist of her acquisition strategy when I first heard her in 2008:

    - Get your license

    - Build relationships with REO listing agents

    - Buy from them and give them your side of the commission

    This was actually great advice, and how I did many dozens of deals between 2008-2011. But, that acquisition strategy no longer works, as REO aren't as plentiful, and the big REO agents aren't giving preferential treatment.

    I saw her speak again a few months ago, and her new acquisition tactic is direct mail. Nothing wrong with that (I've switched over to it as well), but she presents it as if she's been doing direct mail for 15 years and knows more about it than anyone. I know for a fact she wasn't pitching direct mail before 2012, so I imagine she's no more of an expert than many people here on BP who have been doing it for as long, if not MUCH longer.

    The rest of her information is good, but obvious. Stuff like:

    - Stage your houses

    - Have buyers use your mortgage broker

    - Use good contractors who can manage themselves

    - Etc.

    In fact, if there's any rehabber who I'd say my business resembles, it's hers. But, I didn't learn this stuff from her, and for anyone who has one iota of experience in this business, I wouldn't recommend paying $4000 to learn the basic and obvious stuff she throws out there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y
  • Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Bryan L, J Scott, Duncan Taylor thanks for the replies

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Gary Parker:
    I just absolutely love when I get on a thread and @Aaron Mazzrillo is making comments.

    Uh, that's Aaron Mazzrillo, King of Content, Mr. Parker.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Duncan Taylor

    I was just at a meeting with one of my new borrowers, and he told me that one company was using his inventory pictures in their promotions. and that company also advertises right here on BP... I guess that happens more often then one might think... I can see using generic but using others homes is a little strange not sure what the purpose is

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs,

    The reason they do that is they are not doing any deals of their own. They are frauds in that regard.

    And to be honest, I am kind of shocked at some of the questionable types advertising on here. I have to assume the owners and moderators are just unable to police it, not that they are intentionally looking the other way.

  • Real Estate Broker · Greer, SC · Member since 2013 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    12y

    I pay more for my kids's 2nd grade than what you guys are complaining about. Am I the only person that paid 5k for a seminar and became successful because of what I learned and implemented? Sure, you can learn concepts online, but your belief level goes up when a real live person teaches and can answer all your questions. I'm grateful for the guru that taught me. Hundreds of transactions are closed because of that boot camp. I haven't had to work for anyone for 12 years because of a guru that doesn't even know my name. Free information is great, but the newbie has no skin has nothing to lose. Maybe that's why so many newbies never get one deal to close.

    By the way, I never attended Robyn's boot camp or even heard her speak.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Dillard

    I think its common wisdom that maybe 5 or 10% of any of the attendees on the guru circuit will do anything with the information.. You obviously were the 5 to 10% and for that your to be congragulated ... I was at Armando's big Cerritos event last year.. Same event that the Forbes reporter was at and based the Forebes article.. I talked with many attendees. And these folks paid 30 to 40k to come to this 4 day event. Also talked to some that were Armando's students in the past and have gone on to make a living doing RE deals.. I think we all know the guru's are in the information selling business pure and simple.. However I did finance many of Armando's students fix and flips over the years. And there is no question its a huge money business for those in it.. And the fulfillment companies in Utah that run the back end of these deals.. there are 10 to 12 of them in Utah.. and there is specific reasons for this location and the work force.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Duncan Taylor:

    And to be honest, I am kind of shocked at some of the questionable types advertising on here. I have to assume the owners and moderators are just unable to police it, not that they are intentionally looking the other way.

    Hey Duncan (and others)...

    Just to respond to this concern, I can assure you that the mods here are having constant communication about a lot of the threads you're likely referring to, and we're always weighing the value of leaving a thread versus removing it.

    You may notice that there are many threads where the poster is selling/marketing something where there is clearly something amiss, and other posters call him out on it. We often choose to leave those threads, both as a reminder to members to always do their due diligence and to ensure that there is a history of a poster's bad behavior.

    If we ever think there's a risk of a member getting scammed, we'll remove the post, but as you said, sometimes it's very difficult to determine what is on the up-and-up and what is not. But, again, I assure you that we spend a lot of time doing as much detective work as possible to try to ensure the integrity of these forums.

    Protecting this community and its members is our #1 goal. We take that responsibility very seriously...

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:
    I love how people give themselves titles. For now on, I'm going to be Aaron Mazzrillo - "King of Content." With 67% vote ratio on my posts, (probably the highest on BP) that makes me an expert and you should listen to everything I say. LOL

    Oh .. Mr. King of Content, Sir ...

    I think Don Konipol might have you distanced by 30% or so ... but 67% is impressive nonetheless.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    Like @J Scott , I went to Robyn's free 2 hour speech at my local REIA. It was the first meeting I ever went to. I got to go to her full Saturday seminar for 29 dollars since I joined the REIA the same week so I figured it had to be worth 30 bucks. I already knew from Biggerpockets (and my nature in general) to leave my wallet in the car.

    It was a decent seminar and there was not much selling at all. She mentioned her "mentorship" program a couple of times, and her bootcamps maybe twice as well, but most of the day was just content. No guest speakers pitching their product. I'd say it broke down to maybe 30 total minutes of "selling" her other services, which to be fair I'd think it would be more accurate just to call it explaining what else she offered. The other 8 hours were content. I learned a lot, but as I said I was brand new to Real Estate.

    She claims her direct mail letter got like a 14% response rate, and said it was "super top secret" but it was no different than anything you can learn typing "yellow letter" into the search bar here. The way her letter was written, she may get a 14% response rate, but most of them are probably garbage leads. I do not think she mentioned her deal rate from the letters, but I doubt it is anything different than anyone here gets.

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 609 posts · 163 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    @Jason Dillard

    And there is no question its a huge money business for those in it.. And the fulfillment companies in Utah that run the back end of these deals.. there are 10 to 12 of them in Utah.. and there is specific reasons for this location and the work force.

    I would like to hear more about this. 10 to 12 wow. Why here and why the work force.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Gary Parker

    Start with Premier marketing and move out from there.

    the reason is the work force that works the boiler rooms are full of young mentors that are fresh off of their missions and are used to rejection and are really great at the up sell. they get blasted on the phone and they move to the next one.. these are your mentors that are with you for the year.. their cubes are full of notes pinned up with their information that they will impart on the Students.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.