Than Merrill Seminars????? What you think?

14 Replies

I am an ex realtor that has the know how to flip homes, I have sold mobile homes and managed and did property mgmt. I signed up for one of Than Merrils seminars for next week, and figured I would give it a listen. Maybe I will learn something? I googled it and seen he will try to sell me another seminar and I know he will try to sell me things at the seminar.

I just started to read the ebook this site offers. I know how to do everything but get the loans I need to fund it all. My dad recently died and I have a few things of his I can sell and start small with some cheap mobilehomes. I want to flip and have some rent to own homes. Give people with not so good credit a chance and sell to them.

@Jenny Cross

If you have the experience - why worry about going to a seminar that is geared towards hooking people into the idea of RE investing? It sounds like you have the right background/experience - why not jump in?

Originally posted by @Jenny Cross :
I am an ex realtor that has the know how to flip homes, I have sold mobile homes and managed and did property mgmt. I signed up for one of Than Merrils seminars for next week, and figured I would give it a listen. Maybe I will learn something? I googled it and seen he will try to sell me another seminar and I know he will try to sell me things at the seminar.
I just started to read the ebook this site offers. I know how to do everything but get the loans I need to fund it all. My dad recently died and I have a few things of his I can sell and start small with some cheap mobilehomes. I want to flip and have some rent to own homes. Give people with not so good credit a chance and sell to them.

Hi Jenny, Welcome to BP!

I hate to see anyone think they have to go to guru stuff when they can get pretty much all they need right here!

Guess you have been lurking a bit like most. Might hit the introduction forum threads. Sorry to hear of your father's passing, getting back to this game is good for the soul you know.

As to flipping mobiles, much has changed, search here on BP for the Dodd-Frank Act, another good search would be Lonnie Deals, but only read the most recent threads as laws have changed.

Jump in, make connections and check out the key word alerts, put in those words that interest you, welcome come back to the game. :)

Thanks so much for advice Guys. I just signed up for this site last night as I was heading to bed, and now slacking off at work to read and reply now...Shhhh don't tell my boss.

I decided to try my hand at flipping, because I need to invest in something. No 401k yet, only been at job 10 mos but will have it in 2mos. I am 41 and nothing to show for. I gave up real estate when I got divorced years ago, I miss parts of it. I loved going to menards and buying materials and being project mgr, I hired a great team before that I used to do the work and then resell for customers. I could get my real estate license back just by retaking tests. Not sure If I need to do that if I hire attorney to do paperwork for deals. Now it is more about money, good places or ways to get funding? That is why I was going to go to seminar, so they could SHOW ME THE MONEY...lol

"Exclusive access" to their HML's is the hook most of these seminar guys use to get you in their programs now. I'll bet you could find better HML on your own.

@Jenny Cross You will spend more on his weak seminar, that could be used on an actual investment. He will try to sell you new seminar 3 day, 2 week, 1 on 1 for $200, $2,500, $2,500. His coarse is designed to explain REI in theory, to keep you asking questions that will only be answered in the upgraded coarse. And you will likely never meet him.

@Jenny Cross -

I agree w/ @Bill Gulley . It's fine to go to free seminars-you might learn something or meet some helpful people.

The best advice I've heard on this subject (probably on a BP podcast) is to get a dozen books on RE investing and read them first. Then, choose a niche based on what you've read. Then, get another dozen books on that niche. Only then, after you've researched what fits for you, should you spend money on education specifically for that niche.

Makes a lot of sense, don't you think?

That is kind of what I thought. Debating if I even want to go now, It is next thursday. I guess I will keep reading and posting on here and see if I even feel the need to go sit in the 2 hr class on my day off or spend it another way...

@Jenny Cross,

I wish you good luck on everything and I would not worry to much about the Dodd-Frank Act at this time. Get advice from a lawyer to help you along.

Joe Gore

iIrecently went thru this 1 night, 3 day wkend seminar earlier this year. one night will offer the 3 day for 2 ppl @ 199.00. The 3 day was very informative, as I am new to REI, but yes they try to sell you on the mentoring courses, ranging from 15,000.00-25,000.00. They are all still very active in the REI business, the staff you meet, for a new beginner it could be worth it to them. I did not have the money to invest in this course, glad I didnt because I would not have found this site, it offers pretty much any information you need at little to no cost, if you want to purchase any of the books offered as good info then that would be your cost to be on this site. Everyone here is very eager to help!!! I still have alot to learn but I know I am in the place to do so!!!

Good Luck!!

That is kind of what I thought. Debating if I even want to go now, It is next thursday. I guess I will keep reading and posting on here and see if I even feel the need to go sit in the 2 hr class on my day off or spend it another way...

No, stay away from those guys. Go to the lake, take your computer or gizmo, get on line, hook up and ask me questions on here. You'll see the entertainment begin when Joe disagrees with me. LOL

Seriously, do something else, like looking for landlords wanting to retire who will seller finance a portfolio to you allowing you to work your way into ownership managing their properties. :)

LOL Bill Gulley, I am thinking I am going to buy books and stay on here and do more homework....

I am thinking I should invest your money but in my name, sounds like a good plan....Oh and I keep all the profit too LOL

Bill you and I do disagree on most things but you do make good points sometime but on the DF act you and I only think we know how it will work and the only way is the DF act be tried and tested.

Joe Gore

LOL Bill Gulley, I am thinking I am going to buy books and stay on here and do more homework....

I am thinking I should invest your money but in my name, sounds like a good plan....Oh and I keep all the profit too LOL

Careful, I might take you up on that proposal, that's what wives do! LOL

I second @Tammy Starks opinion. Save yourself the money and just keep reading everything on this site for FREE!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.