Has anyone bought Mike Wolf's Tax Lien/Deed Houston Texas program?

20 Replies

I am very new to real estate investing and looking for a mentor. Mike Wolf has a program in Houston Texas where he teaches tax lien/deeds and allows his students to use his team for transactions. Although this program is very pricey, I have spoken to him and exchanged mails with him and he sounded very pleasant and committed. However  I am need to know if anyone has actually gone through his program and their testimonies.

Thank you

You can spend a lot of money on "Mentors" and "Guru's", or you can just go down to the County Taxdeed Office, on a non-sale day, and the nice people will explain it all. If out of town, just make a list of questions and call them. I always find them pleasant and easy to talk with-especially if you explain that you are new.

To finish off, attend a fee sales without bidding. Talk to some of the people in the room-assuming of course, the bidding is live-not online. If bidding is online, register and watch it yourself.

I don't know Mike Wolf, but I assume anyone selling a pricey program will sound pleasant and committed.

@Ndy Onyido   welcome to BP

Although this program is very pricey

Well how pricey? Some people think a $300 program is pricey but some Guru's charge $25,000+ for their programs. 

Ned's rule of Gurus

The value of a real estate investing program is inversely proportional to the price

I have never heard of the guy but he has probably never heard of me either :-)

Medium crab1 copyNed Carey, Crab Properties LLC | http://baltimorerealestateinvestingblog.com/

@Joseph Ball and @Ned.

Thanks for your response and counsel. I am still digging and learning a lot from BP!

This site has been a wonderful tool with immeasurable value.

Thanks again. 

@Ned Carey    Calgary based RE turnkey and guru type.... I have spoken with him a few times.  lots of canadian followers

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

I haven't gone through Mike's program, but I have spent a lot of time with Mike and even toured around New Orleans with him and checked out the flipping he was doing with investors down there. Mike is great, super smart. So I can't attest specifically to the success of the program with the tax liens, but I'd have every reason to believe it's totally legit and a great deal. I was going to look into it for myself but got tied up with some other stuff. Mike's a good guy though and has good stuff set up.

Medium hipsterinvestment logo black300dpiAli Boone, Hipster Investments | [email protected] | 310‑957‑2101 | https://goo.gl/x52ZKJ | CA Agent # 01911993

NA Onyido I live here in Calgary myself and met  with Mike Wolf on a couple  occaisions.  Very nice guy and passionate about what he is doing and teaching.   He definitely knows the ins and outs of a Canadian investing state side.   I am already familiar with the tax lien/deed investment strategy and have been investing in Texas thus far.    It was nice talking with someone on the same page though.  He definitely knows his stuff. 

Thank you all for the contribution. 

The program is a 4-day event planned for Jan/February and he would take his students to the Harris County deed auction which takes place (I  believe first Tuesday of the month?). My interest as a newbie is to pick a single family residence and have his team manage this since I am a non US resident.  I am passionate and enthusiastic about US real estate, but, as a risk manager in the financial industry, we are wired to think risk first before returns, and that informed my continuous search for validation of authenticity of the program as $7k price tag is not what I would like to cough out and not get value for my money.

I will truly appreciate if I can run into anyone with practical experience of the program........

I am still hopeful to find one from the BP family!

Needless to say, since I joined BP last month, I have gained tremendous knowledge and its amazing the ease with which the member share honest information and always eager to help.

Thank you all.......am honored to be part of this community.

I have taken two separate Mike Wolf investing tours including the Houston Tax Deed investing tour. After pretty much throwing away $15,000 on "Rich Dad Poor Dad"/"Tigrent" real estate investing courses, I found I actually learned something useful from Mike Wolf's investing tours and they are definitely not a scam.

One of Mike's deals is that if you take one of his US investing tours you get him as a mentor for life and I have definitely used and abused that benefit.  Mike has sat down with me for coffee, talked to me on the phone and answered emails many, many times and happily answers all of my questions for free.  He is incredibly knowledgeable and has been investing in Canada and the US for 20-some years.  

The first tour I took of Mike Wolf's was to Las Vegas in 2009 or 2010, and as a result of his mentorship I did my first deal in Vegas and made a decent return on a two month flip of a single family home (foreclosure). Under his advice I then switched to investing in Phoenix and, using his power-team that he set up in that city for free, I bought a foreclosure and ended up making a 30% return on the deal, renting the single-family home for positive cashflow before selling it two years later. Mike did not make a cent off of this investment.  

Again in 2012, I followed Mike's advice to change focus once the opportunity in Phoenix began to dwindle some and I took his Houston Tax Deed tour. 

I learned so much good hands-on due diligence information from that tour and I feel it was worth every penny. I now use his power-team in Houston (free of charge and he gets no kick backs from me using them) and have started assembling some other individuals onto my own power-team. I have bid on properties at two tax deed auctions in Houston so far. I have yet to win a property but I am confident to do all of the due diligence steps on my own and I don't feel that my lack of auction success thus far is any fault of Mike's. 

I agree that in general, one should be very cautious of "Real Estate Investor Gurus", however, Mike Wolf is a different sort. Yes, he has made money off me on his US investing tours and they are pricey but he has provided me with such great value that I do not regret it in the least. I recommend Mike Wolf to anyone. He is knowledgeable and generous and genuinely loves to teach and help people.  I hope this helps!!

Cal Ewing, Karma Property Wholesalers | [email protected] | 8327803042 | http://www.karmapropertywholesalers.com

@Cal Ewing  

Thanks for the detailed account of your relationship with Mike. I personally find him very amiable and like the passion with which he approached RE.

When you say "have started assembling some other individuals onto my own power-team", what exactly does that mean? My understanding is that you would use his structure for all your transactions. Again, I am not resident in the US ( am a Canadian) and the initial attraction was the convenience of investing from out of town and using a proxy for all my transactions. 

Thanks

I use his team and invest remotely from Calgary. I have just met some others that I am working with in conjunction with Mike's team. Namely a fella who owns a title company. He has experience with handling title issues that can come with tax deeds and the redemption period. I can connect you are discuss in more detail of you would like. Also, I am looking for partners to invest with in Houston if you are interested. I Hope I havent violated any forum rules by mentioning that.

Cal Ewing, Karma Property Wholesalers | [email protected] | 8327803042 | http://www.karmapropertywholesalers.com

@Cal Ewing  Thanks. I will attend the tour and see things for myself. Houston Texas and Atlanta Georgia are the two locations I have in mind.

@Terry Burger  

Its Jan 30-Feb 3......participants will be registered for the usual first Tuesday trustee deed auction for February.

Hi NDy,  how did the Tax lien tour go?

Ram

NA Onyido I've found some great information. I plan on attending the auction comin up this Tuesday as long as I still will be off from work. I can provide you the great information that I've found and you can take it from there. Good luck to you. 

Amber is my Boots on the Ground! Like one of the first guys said, You have to just go down there and see how it all works. Jump in and get started! 

@Amber Koontz

@Raven Dorminey

I did attend the tax deeds tour. It was a good expereince but its not for me: a lot of uncertainties. After all the due diligence and having to go visit the various properties, the ones i was interested in were outbid by over 500% of opening bid.

Moreover, when i visited the properties, some of them were either dilapidated or not in existence: two were burnt down.

The upside of the tour was that I connected wiht a turnkey provider in Kansas City (MO), and I did buy an investment property which we closed in April. I plan to do two more before the end of the year.

Hope you are both doing well?

Happy investing. 

Originally posted by NA Onyido:

@Amber Koontz

@Raven Dorminey

I did attend the tax deeds tour. It was a good expereince but its not for me: a lot of uncertainties. After all the due diligence and having to go visit the various properties, the ones i was interested in were outbid by over 500% of opening bid.

Moreover, when i visited the properties, some of them were either dilapidated or not in existence: two were burnt down.

The upside of the tour was that I connected wiht a turnkey provider in Kansas City (MO), and I did buy an investment property which we closed in April. I plan to do two more before the end of the year.

Hope you are both doing well?

Happy investing. 

I am glad you went in person before you invested only to find out that it was not for you.  I want to add this to my list of ways to aquire properties.  Every market is different.  One thing for sure is you have to be there every sale to get the deals.  Eventually you will land on one.  I say you have to kiss a few toads...

Right now I am working on adding some vacation rentals to my portfolio. Let me know if you want to invest in Sunny Central Florida! 

I was going to say... If it's $7000, and you want a 10% ROI, it should bring you at least $70,000 of value that you can't easily obtain elsewhere.

Disclosure: I have no relationship with them i've never even written a rating on anyone there .

I thought everyone knows that yelp is a free rating site that consumers write in to say whether they like it or not.