E-Myth Real Estate Investor

16 Replies

Hey guys,

I've heard E-Myth recommended multiple times on the podcast so went to amazon to purchase it. I came across a very recently released E-Myth book titled The E-Myth Real Estate Investor (http://www.amazon.com/E-Myth-Real-Estate-Investor/...).

It's the same author, was wondering if anybody had read this new version directed toward REI??

Same original author and probably some forwards from Than and the other guy. 

The original is just fine. Its a book about setting up your business as a system that can run it self. Its not dedicated to Real Estate and I don't think it needs to be. Its a book on running a business in general, not real estate. Unless the extra authors have a lot of extra information to contribute, which I'm guessing isn't much valuable unless you do your business exactly like they do, then the original book should be just fine. 

Steven J., Will See Real Estate | 240‑394‑5733 | http://WillSeeRealEstate.com

@Cornelius Charles

Have you (or anyone else on here) had the chance to read the Real Estate version yet? I'm trying to decide whether I buy that one or the original. Thanks.

@Mark Salacinski

I recieved it in the mail a week or two ago but haven't read it yet. I'm still not finsished with the book i'm currently reading.  I actually don't read too often as I have a day job and I use my nights after work to work on real estate.

I find myself in the same position as @Justin Sandall right now. I am in between choosing buying the original, "revisited," or this version, since it seems like the best of all worlds. However, what I will add here is that, in case folks aren't aware, the co-authors listed (can't tell what they actually contribute since Amazon doesn't give a look inside) are the real estate 'gurus' that @Joshua Dorkin so famously chides throughout the magnificent BP podcasts. I know this because I attended a 3-day seminar of theirs (before starting to use BP), but I was quite impressed with their (predominantly) substantive content. 

In the end, I am hesitant to give them more money, but if it's a good book, it's a good book....?

To anyone still following this thread, I finally got around to finishing E-Myth Real Estate Investor.  I must admit that i have never read the original, but as Steven Johnson alluded to, this one is about setting up systems in your business as well.  The book goes back and forth between chapters written by Michael Gerber and then chapters written by Than Merrill and Paul Esajian.  So basically, Gerber explains a concept in one chapter and then the next chapter is dedicated to how that concept is utilized by Merrill and Esajian in their real estate business.  As i said, i never read the first one, so i'm not sure how much of this one would be repeat information.  Personally, I enjoyed how Gerber's concepts were presented in a way where the reader can see how it can be applied in your own real estate investing business.  i would recommend it to anyone looking to grow and evolve their business.  As a newbie, it gave me ideas on how I would like to set myself up now for being successful and working on my business, not in my business. 

Originally posted by @Cornelius Charles :

To anyone still following this thread, I finally got around to finishing E-Myth Real Estate Investor.  I must admit that i have never read the original, but as Steven Johnson alluded to, this one is about setting up systems in your business as well.  The book goes back and forth between chapters written by Michael Gerber and then chapters written by Than Merrill and Paul Esajian.  So basically, Gerber explains a concept in one chapter and then the next chapter is dedicated to how that concept is utilized by Merrill and Esajian in their real estate business.  As i said, i never read the first one, so i'm not sure how much of this one would be repeat information.  Personally, I enjoyed how Gerber's concepts were presented in a way where the reader can see how it can be applied in your own real estate investing business.  i would recommend it to anyone looking to grow and evolve their business.  As a newbie, it gave me ideas on how I would like to set myself up now for being successful and working on my business, not in my business. 

You really need to read the revisited edition, because there's not a lot of repeat info. There are some concepts not in the other book.  

To jump in here, is the conclusion then to read both?  I probably will anyway, but if I don't need to then all the better!

@Mike Watkins Thanks for the heads up. i have a couple of other books in line next, but maybe i'll check it out after those.

I just ordered that book today.  Give me a couple of weeks and I should have it read.

My intention over the next year is to systematize my flipping business.  My sincere hope is this book will help me do that.

Originally posted by @Adam Roehm :

I just ordered that book today.  Give me a couple of weeks and I should have it read.

My intention over the next year is to systematize my flipping business.  My sincere hope is this book will help me do that.

It will. 

@mike watkins do you know if the revisited book is just an updated version of the original? I don't have a lot of reading time available these days (full time job, 2 yr old, 6 month old), so as I begin my book education in REI, im tryimg to be as selective and efficient as possible by choosing helpful relevant books now and in creating good habits and systems for the future.

I have read both books and honestly, I loved both.  The first opened my eyes to the key concepts of systemization overall.  I was glad that I read that first because it really went in depth into the types of business owners and the issues that they face.  I was also able to identify with it because it was written as though you were a "fly on the wall" in a discussion between a business owner and coach.  

The new book is written straight forward.  It's talking to YOU, the reader and telling YOU what to do.  It mentions a number of the concepts in the Myth Revisited, but not in as much depth as the first (which is why I'm glad I read it first).  It adds a focus not he real estate investing business that I really enjoyed as well as several tactical things to work on.  It's NOT a book to tell you how to do the tasks associated with real estate investing.  If that is what you are looking for there are courses and content galore on that subject.  What it does is fill in the gap on what you need to have done to make the business work (which every guru sells) and what it takes to make it a successful, sustainable, life-giving business that can survive with or without you.  

I HIGHLY recommend reading them both.  My library has the audio book so for me the investment in the was zero, however, I am really considering purchasing the new book in it's text format because my fingers are getting numb from writing down notes. 

Hope this helps!

Cas

jumping on the thread late but just recently (2 weeks ago) was turned on to the "real estate" version of the book. I previously read the e myth revisited and enjoyed the concepts it laid out. I find the real estate version of the book takes Gerbers concepts and then expands them from a real estate investor point of view (as stated above). I have this book on audio and I am currently looking for it on digits if anyone has a copy of it they might want to offer up PLeASE feel free to message me directly. I may also have a treasure trove of book you Might want as well. 

I will say this about book and how relevant they are and how much time should be allotted for them. As Gerber and his co-authors all speak about learning is a lifelong endeavor. Taking time and money to dedicate to learning (not just about real estate) is essential to figuring out new and complex problems. If you want to find new ways to innovate your way out of problems then knowledge is key. Expanding knowledge about people and psychology and marketing and technology just to make a few will enhance your ability to see holistic solutions to problems. This book touches on a lot of these key topics.

I have the book on audio so that I can consume it while I drive back and forth to work or even on a long trip. A lot of people tell me they are not able to listen to audio podcasts or books while driving. I would say try to slowly incorporate it into your daily routine. Worst case you just have to listen again. 

just bought the book, will get back in a couple days as to how it is!!👍

I am very late to this thread, but I loved the book. I have the E Myth, but I went ahead and also purchased the one targeted for real estate investing and I am listening to it a second time. I am new to developing and growing my own business, but I have worked in the corporate world and it is exactly the same. Businesses who develop standard operating procedures and are committed to improving them, and empowering people will be successful.

Medium original logos 2017 jul 5860 59599a8b86a0eAngela Hagen, Mastiff Home Buyers and Renovation | [email protected] | 8165350076 | http://www.mastiffhomebuyers.com