Landlording by Leigh Robinson

Landlording by Leigh Robinson

Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes

In 1983, my husband and I were unable to sell our house when we wanted a larger house in a better neighborhood.  I was 28 and inexperienced.  We were lucky enough to stumble across Leigh Robinson's book.  We bought the new house, kept the old house as a rental.  We followed his book to the letter, kept the rental for 10 years had positive cash flow and made a bundle in appreciation.

In 2017, I am older and more experienced.  I now own an apartment building and the 12th or 13th edition of Mr. Robinson's wonderful book.  It is still full of practical tips, great forms and ideas and corny humor.  I pulled in out recently when I needed to draft a roommate agreement to protect the LL's (mine) interests.  Again, Mr. Robinson came through.

I see a lot of talk about people spending thousands on guru courses.  I think this book still costs about $20.  It is timeless.

1Reply
86 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 116 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Bettina F. I also have owned Leigh Robinson's book for a number of years (not 35...) and I think it is great.  Besides him, I like William Nickerson and John T. Reed (although his advice can be dated and anecdotal which makes it less useful.  I do love reading his anecdotes, and his book on Succeeding is as enjoyable as an autobiography as it is a how to book).  A lot of other books out there are pretty gimmicky or derivative, or just wrong in my opinion.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 104 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    Agree. Landlording was the first book I bought. Very thorough and still relevant today. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9mo

    Great book.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.