Anyone read "Set for Life" yet?

10 Replies

Awesome Book!! It is really geared toward starting out with a good foundation. I gave it to both of my college kids to read. I would highly recommend it to anyone as you can get some good info no matter where you are in your journey. 

Originally posted by @Clay O. :

Awesome Book!! It is really geared toward starting out with a good foundation. I gave it to both of my college kids to read. I would highly recommend it to anyone as you can get some good info no matter where you are in your journey. 

Thanks man. OOC where is Owasso, Oklahoma? I have a sister in OKC and I'm from Fayetteville, Arkansas. How's the RE there?

@James Canoy Owasso is a suburb to Tulsa, sets just to the northeast of Tulsa.  The RE market here is great, Tulsa Metro, and especially the surrounding suburbs of Owasso, Broken Arrow, Bixby, and Jenks being the best of the best A markets, and others like Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Glenpool, Coweta, Catoosa, Claremore, Skiatook, Collinsville all have some good areas for rentals or flipping also.   OKC market is great also.

To add to what @Jeff Filali said, Owasso, Broken Arrow and Jenks are all pretty good markets. Claremore is a decent market, but be aware that it's not likely to see much appreciation. The city is extremely limited by it's road's system, and the two railroad tracks that cut the city in thirds. The city was growing quite a bit back around 2000, but once they reached the max load on the roads, it all slowed down, and the growth has gone to other Tulsa suburbs. 

Still, Claremore isn't bad, per se...I've got a cashflowing property there that I got off the MLS. But I don't I'll foresee any appreciation on it apart from what inflation brings.

I read the book too. I have mixed opinions, but overall I thought it was great, particularly for the college-age individual, and would be life-changing for someone at that age.

I agree with most of the book, thought it was pretty encouraging, though somewhat repetitive. My biggest thought is that it wasn't as much a "real estate" book and many of the life/spending principles don't apply so well to someone with an established family. Dare I ask my wife if she wants to move into a house-hack fourplex? LOL I'm joking of course, that may work for some people.

Overall, good read. If you want a "Real Estate" book, the "Finding and Funding Great Deals" is one of the best I've ever read! 

Great book - read it a few weeks back and have since given out copies to my little brother, some friends, and convinced a retired friend to buy it for his recent college grad kids as Xmas gifts.

It helps you set a good foundation for saving so that you can pour all your money into building wealth. It's already more than paid for itself in terms of me consciously choosing to save in various situations (and I'm already pretty damn frugal!)

Would highly recommend it, and once you've finished reading it let your friends read it too. RE gets a lot easier if you have people you know that you can bounce ideas off of :)