Brad Wood
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
DC security deposit deductions

Brad Wood
  • Washington, DC
Posted Jun 10 2019, 08:14

BP community,

Property is an English basement located in Washington, DC.

Is there a definitive guide to what you can and cannot charge your tenant for repairs/upkeep out of their security deposit? For example,

- my tenant made no effort to clean the apartment, floors were dirty, oven untouched fridge dirty.

- I had a former landlord charge me for replacement of lightbulbs, in my case the tenant had about 6-7 bulbs burnt out or missing.

- I had to re-caulk the tub as it was in rough shape. I did this myself, so the expense is probably only the caulking.

- The tenant moved mattresses and a dresser outside the door but still on my property and said 311 was called. They're still there despite me reaching out to the tenant and to 311. They're now in the way of where the new tenant will need to bring their belongings into the unit. If I have to call a private contractor to remove it, can/should this be charged?  

- I bought the house/apartment and inherited the outgoing tenant. I did not receive a key back for the rear lock so will need to replace it or have it re-keyed. Can this be charged? Or is this on me because I should have received a key for that door from the former owner?

Several questions and specific examples. Any help to the above would be appreciated, but i'm wondering if the government or someone has put together a list of what's permissible and what may not be. 

Thanks in advance!

-B.

Loading replies...