Bruce McKenty
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Newbie with some Questions in Rochester, NY

Bruce McKenty
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Sep 20 2018, 19:13

Hello Everyone!

My name is Bruce and I am an aspiring investor from the Rochester area. I hope to, someday, be able to achieve financial freedom through real estate. I have a long way to go but I’m hoping to start my journey soon. I do have some questions for those experienced Rochester area investors out there that I was hoping to get some help with:

Because I don't have much cash on hand and I want to get started as soon as possible, I am interested in utilizing an FHA Loan and house hacking, preferably a four family in the range of $200,000 or less. My thought behind this is to not only cover the costs but to generate some positive cash flow. From cursory analysis of some properties I have seen on the MLS, this seems to me to be realistic. Is it?

So I have about $8,000 saved up which would be just enough to cover the 3.5% down payment on a $200,000 property but would be all but gone when it comes time to pay the closing costs. In your experience, how much do closing costs generally run on a $200,000 property? A $100,000? Is there any chance in the current Rochester multifamily market of getting a seller to cover the closing costs or do I just have to be patient and keep saving?

Thanks very much for reading and for any help that you can provide!

-Bruce 

Loading replies...