Messaging a homeowner on LinkedIn after finding their name - is this ok or bad?

Messaging a homeowner on LinkedIn after finding their name - is this ok or bad?

Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes

I use an AI tool to automatically message homeowners on LinkedIn. I get around a 10% response rate when messaging on Linkedin vs 2% on email. I just add a list of addresses and it ends up finding homeowners and messaging them for me. Last week I got 5 calls and 2 listings so it's converting. However, I'm always conscious if I'm annoying homeowners.

I usually message if their listing is withdrawn or just to introduce myself as a local agent for when they want to sell. So it's great to get passive listings.

But is it too creepy to reach out to people on their social media? I'd love your honest opinions.

Any thoughts? Or is there better social media sites to use? Or just no social media at all or regular email?

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

Hey @James Milton - if it works for you, why is it a bad thing? Clearly it's getting some positive responses in your market. 

What's the AI tool you're using?

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @James Milton - if it works for you, why is it a bad thing? Clearly it's getting some positive responses in your market. 

    What's the AI tool you're using?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    Anyone who uses social media should be made to regret it. All websites where people gather to get a job, make money or enjoy a hobby should become targets for advertisers. What other purpose do these websites serve?  Certainly people should start spamming BP members asking they want to sell their properties. 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

    Hey @James Milton - if it works for you, why is it a bad thing? Clearly it's getting some positive responses in your market. 

    What's the AI tool you're using?

    Hey yeah I think so, just kinda testing it to see if it is doing more good than bad to my rep.  It’s called Listwise
  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    Anyone who uses social media should be made to regret it. All websites where people gather to get a job, make money or enjoy a hobby should become targets for advertisers. What other purpose do these websites serve?  Certainly people should start spamming BP members asking they want to sell their properties. 


     It’s a fair point Bill, I respect and understand your concerns - thanks for sharing 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    I was being partly sarcastic and partly agreeing with the bad feeling you were having about doing it. But as the other poster said, if you’re really getting a 10% POSITIVE response (not just a 10% response) maybe I’m completely wrong. After all, it’s not too hard for them to hit delete or spam, or whatever the linked-in version is. 

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Milton:

    I use an AI tool to automatically message homeowners on LinkedIn. I get around a 10% response rate when messaging on Linkedin vs 2% on email. I just add a list of addresses and it ends up finding homeowners and messaging them for me. Last week I got 5 calls and 2 listings so it's converting. However, I'm always conscious if I'm annoying homeowners.

    I usually message if their listing is withdrawn or just to introduce myself as a local agent for when they want to sell. So it's great to get passive listings.

    But is it too creepy to reach out to people on their social media? I'd love your honest opinions.

    Any thoughts? Or is there better social media sites to use? Or just no social media at all or regular email?


    Hello James, If it works, keep doing it and refine your system as best as possible so that the recipient doesn't feel the process is too invasive.

    The market will ultimately decide whether they are ok with this. 

    So far, your response rate shows they're OK with this. There aren't many other lead generation methods outside of door knocking that have a higher response rate than what you're doing.

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    I was being partly sarcastic and partly agreeing with the bad feeling you were having about doing it. But as the other poster said, if you’re really getting a 10% POSITIVE response (not just a 10% response) maybe I’m completely wrong. After all, it’s not too hard for them to hit delete or spam, or whatever the linked-in version is. 


     Thanks Bill! Great advice 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Abel Curiel:
    Quote from @James Milton:

    I use an AI tool to automatically message homeowners on LinkedIn. I get around a 10% response rate when messaging on Linkedin vs 2% on email. I just add a list of addresses and it ends up finding homeowners and messaging them for me. Last week I got 5 calls and 2 listings so it's converting. However, I'm always conscious if I'm annoying homeowners.

    I usually message if their listing is withdrawn or just to introduce myself as a local agent for when they want to sell. So it's great to get passive listings.

    But is it too creepy to reach out to people on their social media? I'd love your honest opinions.

    Any thoughts? Or is there better social media sites to use? Or just no social media at all or regular email?


    Hello James, If it works, keep doing it and refine your system as best as possible so that the recipient doesn't feel the process is too invasive.

    The market will ultimately decide whether they are ok with this. 

    So far, your response rate shows they're OK with this. There aren't many other lead generation methods outside of door knocking that have a higher response rate than what you're doing.

    All the best!

    Abel


     Thanks Abel, yep this was my thoughts I’ll test it a bit longer to see.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    As long as your apologetic and respectful in your verbiage, I'd keep doing it. Mention that you found the info via public record, exhausted all other options, and this was the last resort. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 238 posts · 102 votes
    2y

    Hi James, are you a real estate agent or investor? Also, what market are you in?

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    As long as your apologetic and respectful in your verbiage, I'd keep doing it. Mention that you found the info via public record, exhausted all other options, and this was the last resort. 

    Agreed! And it’s about being honest 
  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ecaterina Katerina Morosan:

    Hi James, are you a real estate agent or investor? Also, what market are you in?


     Realtor in NJ

  • Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 237 votes
    2y

    Hey James, 

    As long as you are complying with the law, and providing a way for recipients to easily and quickly opt out of further communication I think that you're doing your part. 

    Sure, not everything illegal is immoral, and not everything immoral is illegal. That is where you will need to make a judgement call whether you're personally okay with the feedback you're getting (are you dealing with many annoyed respondents?), and how you feel this is building your brand. 

    I also believe that it is incumbent on you as the business owner to ensure your success and if you need to use outbound marketing initially to generate enough leads to sustain and grow your business, then you have a moral obligation to your family to do so. Sure, some may not like this (every marketing channel has detractors), but you're ultimately not hurting anyone so don't stress yourself out too much. It sounds like you're considering the experience of your prospects which is more than many (most?). 

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    If you try this - make it  brief  and to the point  and avoid any  vague  type  greetings 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Timothy Howdeshell:

    Hey James, 

    As long as you are complying with the law, and providing a way for recipients to easily and quickly opt out of further communication I think that you're doing your part. 

    Sure, not everything illegal is immoral, and not everything immoral is illegal. That is where you will need to make a judgement call whether you're personally okay with the feedback you're getting (are you dealing with many annoyed respondents?), and how you feel this is building your brand. 

    I also believe that it is incumbent on you as the business owner to ensure your success and if you need to use outbound marketing initially to generate enough leads to sustain and grow your business, then you have a moral obligation to your family to do so. Sure, some may not like this (every marketing channel has detractors), but you're ultimately not hurting anyone so don't stress yourself out too much. It sounds like you're considering the experience of your prospects which is more than many (most?). 


     Great point - feedback taken onboard and I believe just being honest and not trying to offend any one is key! 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    As long as your apologetic and respectful in your verbiage, I'd keep doing it. Mention that you found the info via public record, exhausted all other options, and this was the last resort. 


     True, do you think this goes the same for emails? Keep it short etc. or emails people are a little more tolerant ?

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    It has more to do with the situation of the recipient than the method of communication. Be respectful, short, professional, and fair. If they have interest in selling a property, they'll reply or be receptive. If they have no interest in selling, you're more likely to just get ignored than for someone to react negatively. 

    I've made a career out of cold calling (businesses, not individuals). You'd be surprised how kind people are so long as you are not an idiot or disrespectful/unprofessional. 

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    2y

    From a cold calling perspective, it sounds ok. But make sure it isn't against Linkedin's policies as its more of a networking site.

    The main problem with cold calling now is you may be a good one (i.e., a drop) in a sea of scammers and spammers. So, you have to standout as not fake. More personal.

    As the recipient of several vague cold calls:
    Do's:

    - Say who you are. I get it. It's risky.
    - Experts may not like this but adding a "If you are not interested, you can ignore this message" will tell me you are not a scam as they want you to reply for data mining purposes.

    Don'ts:
    - Being vague is an automatic flag to send to junk. Would you sell your house based on a random message?
    - Use "I'm from <INSERT FAKE COMPANY NAME>. Interested in..."
    - Use tricks like sending your first text as "Hey, did you see my last text" just so the person replies.

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Todd Jones:

    From a cold calling perspective, it sounds ok. But make sure it isn't against Linkedin's policies as its more of a networking site.

    The main problem with cold calling now is you may be a good one (i.e., a drop) in a sea of scammers and spammers. So, you have to standout as not fake. More personal.

    As the recipient of several vague cold calls:
    Do's:

    - Say who you are. I get it. It's risky.
    - Experts may not like this but adding a "If you are not interested, you can ignore this message" will tell me you are not a scam as they want you to reply for data mining purposes.

    Don'ts:
    - Being vague is an automatic flag to send to junk. Would you sell your house based on a random message?
    - Use "I'm from . Interested in..."
    - Use tricks like sending your first text as "Hey, did you see my last text" just so the person replies.


     Great feedback will certainly use some of this 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    It has more to do with the situation of the recipient than the method of communication. Be respectful, short, professional, and fair. If they have interest in selling a property, they'll reply or be receptive. If they have no interest in selling, you're more likely to just get ignored than for someone to react negatively. 

    I've made a career out of cold calling (businesses, not individuals). You'd be surprised how kind people are so long as you are not an idiot or disrespectful/unprofessional. 


     Yep completely agree. Thanks for sharing 

  • Realtor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    Hey James, I'd be interested to hear how this progresses for you. I have a friend that does agent coaching nationwide and this is one of his hot topics using LinkedIn. But it's more for finding potential leads through shared connections or asking for warm hand offs when you find sellers with mutual connections, or using something like same school or employer in past you both worked for, etc. to start a convo. I like your approach at going right after the sellers directly via direct message asking to sell. I'm not sure about their policies either, but I know a ton of other people spam message me on LinkedIn so it must not be that strict...

  • Real Estate Professional · Atlanta GA · Member since 2015 · 615 posts · 225 votes
    2y


    Brilliant idea.  I would not stop, but I would increase.  You are actually onto something that very few people even think about doing.  You have a number of things going for you.  A big one is you have no real competition in this space.  Turn up the volume!  Congratulations!

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2023 · 71 posts · 20 votes
    2y

    James, this is awesome.

    Making my way through everyone's replies here, it seems you got plenty of helpful tips to implement. 

    Do you have a specific type of homeowners you are targeting? 

    Keep up the great work! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.