What property management software are you using — and what frustrates you most about

What property management software are you using — and what frustrates you most about

Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes

I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.

3Reply
943 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2026 · 67 posts · 35 votes
6mo

@John M. John — same frustrations here. I manage lots of LTRs and STRs and the communication tracking across email, texts, calls, and internal notes was a mess when everything lived in different places. Making all communications auditable and protect myself legally was a far-fetched dream a couple of years ago.

I ended up building my own system to keep all tenant communications and property management under one roof. Every interaction stays tied to the property and tenant regardless of channel. Fully auditable. It's been running my portfolio for a while now and honestly it's one of the modules I and my team rely on most day to day.

Not something I've released publicly yet — it's still a competitive advantage for my own operations in my market — but I may open up limited beta access down the road if there's enough interest.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Ali Asadi:

    I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

    More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

    Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

    Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


     What are you trying to sell?

    • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:

      I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

      More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

      Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

      Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


       What are you trying to sell?


       Fair question — I’m not selling anything.

      I’m a Professor of Information Technology and I’m researching operational and software challenges in property management. I’m genuinely interested in understanding where current systems create friction for operators.

      Appreciate the discussion and any insight you’re willing to share.



    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:

      I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

      More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

      Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

      Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


       What are you trying to sell?


       Fair question — I’m not selling anything.

      I’m a Professor of Information Technology and I’m researching operational and software challenges in property management. I’m genuinely interested in understanding where current systems create friction for operators.

      Appreciate the discussion and any insight you’re willing to share.




       Need a system that merges all communication types; phone, smail and SMS, into a single tracking source.

    • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:

      I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

      More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

      Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

      Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


       What are you trying to sell?


       Fair question — I’m not selling anything.

      I’m a Professor of Information Technology and I’m researching operational and software challenges in property management. I’m genuinely interested in understanding where current systems create friction for operators.

      Appreciate the discussion and any insight you’re willing to share.




       Need a system that merges all communication types; phone, smail and SMS, into a single tracking source.

      That’s interesting. When communication is split across phone, email, and SMS, where does it usually break down — follow-ups, documentation, response time, or reporting back to owners?
    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:

      I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

      More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

      Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

      Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


       What are you trying to sell?


       Fair question — I’m not selling anything.

      I’m a Professor of Information Technology and I’m researching operational and software challenges in property management. I’m genuinely interested in understanding where current systems create friction for operators.

      Appreciate the discussion and any insight you’re willing to share.




       Need a system that merges all communication types; phone, smail and SMS, into a single tracking source.

      That’s interesting. When communication is split across phone, email, and SMS, where does it usually break down — follow-ups, documentation, response time, or reporting back to owners?

       all of the above.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    7mo

    Fair question — I’m not selling anything.

    I’m a Professor of Information Technology and I’m researching operational and software challenges in property management. I’m genuinely interested in understanding where current systems create friction for operators.

    Appreciate the discussion and any insight you’re willing to share.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Kyle S.:

    Great question. I've used a few different platforms over the years and the biggest frustration across all of them was legal compliance, every state has different rules on security deposits, late fees, notice periods, and required disclosures, and none of the mainstream tools actually help you stay compliant. You end up Googling statutes yourself and hoping you got it right.

    The other pain point was cost structure. A lot of platforms advertise as "free" but then charge percentage-based fees on rent payments, which adds up fast.

    I actually ended up building my own solution (RentSolve AI - rentsolve.ai) because I couldn't find anything that solved the compliance piece. It uses AI to draft state-specific leases and has landlord-tenant law data for all 50 states built in. Free tier for 1 unit, paid plans start at $12/mo with zero platform fees on rent collection.

    Still early stage, but happy to answer questions if anyone's curious about the AI lease drafting or how the legal compliance works.

    That’s really interesting insight — especially the compliance issue. I’ve heard similar concerns from several managers who say most platforms are good at accounting and basic operations, but not very helpful when it comes to actually navigating legal requirements across jurisdictions.
    Curious about your experience building RentSolve AI — how are you maintaining the legal updates across all 50 states? Is it primarily a legal dataset you update periodically, or are you pulling from live regulatory sources?

    Also wondering: have users mainly been small landlords, or are property managers with larger portfolios showing interest as well?



  • Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7mo
    Quote from @Ali Asadi:
    Quote from @Kyle S.:

    Great question. I've used a few different platforms over the years and the biggest frustration across all of them was legal compliance, every state has different rules on security deposits, late fees, notice periods, and required disclosures, and none of the mainstream tools actually help you stay compliant. You end up Googling statutes yourself and hoping you got it right.

    The other pain point was cost structure. A lot of platforms advertise as "free" but then charge percentage-based fees on rent payments, which adds up fast.

    I actually ended up building my own solution (RentSolve AI - rentsolve.ai) because I couldn't find anything that solved the compliance piece. It uses AI to draft state-specific leases and has landlord-tenant law data for all 50 states built in. Free tier for 1 unit, paid plans start at $12/mo with zero platform fees on rent collection.

    Still early stage, but happy to answer questions if anyone's curious about the AI lease drafting or how the legal compliance works.

    That’s really interesting insight — especially the compliance issue. I’ve heard similar concerns from several managers who say most platforms are good at accounting and basic operations, but not very helpful when it comes to actually navigating legal requirements across jurisdictions.
    Curious about your experience building RentSolve AI — how are you maintaining the legal updates across all 50 states? Is it primarily a legal dataset you update periodically, or are you pulling from live regulatory sources?

    Also wondering: have users mainly been small landlords, or are property managers with larger portfolios showing interest as well?




    Good questions. The legal database was compiled from state revised statutes and annotated codes, all 50 states plus DC. Right now it's a dataset I built and review manually, not pulling from a live regulatory feed. The reality is landlord tenant laws don't change that often at the state level, maybe a handful of states update statutes in any given year, so periodic review keeps it current. When something big does change, like California's deposit cap update in 2024 or Colorado's new late fee limits in 2023, those get updated right away.

    On the user side, it's been almost entirely small landlords so far. The 1 to 10 unit range, people who self manage and don't want to pay a property management company 10% of rent every month. That's the sweet spot where compliance is still important but hiring a lawyer for every lease doesn't make financial sense. Haven't seen much interest from larger PMs yet, they tend to already have legal teams or established workflows.

    The multi-state angle is where it gets really interesting though. A landlord with a property in Texas and one in Massachusetts is dealing with completely different deposit rules, eviction timelines, late fee caps, and entry notice requirements. That's where the 50 state database pays off the most.

  • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    6mo

    @Drew Sygit's point about needing unified communication tracking is spot on. The fact that a maintenance request might come in via text, a follow-up via email, and the contractor coordination via phone, and none of it is connected, seems like the core problem. Individual tools handle pieces well, but nobody ties the full lifecycle together.

    Curious if anyone's found a good solution for the maintenance side specifically? Not the rent/lease stuff, that seems well covered, but the actual coordination between tenant report, triage, contractor, and resolution.

    • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Robert Donnelly:

      @Drew Sygit's point about needing unified communication tracking is spot on. The fact that a maintenance request might come in via text, a follow-up via email, and the contractor coordination via phone, and none of it is connected, seems like the core problem. Individual tools handle pieces well, but nobody ties the full lifecycle together.

      Curious if anyone's found a good solution for the maintenance side specifically? Not the rent/lease stuff, that seems well covered, but the actual coordination between tenant report, triage, contractor, and resolution.

      That’s a great way to frame it — the issue isn’t that tools don’t exist, it’s that the lifecycle isn’t connected.

      The maintenance flow you described (tenant → triage → contractor → resolution) seems to break down mostly at the handoffs, especially when communication is happening across different channels.

      I haven’t seen a solution that fully ties that together end-to-end either. Most platforms handle ticketing or messaging, but not the full operational visibility.

      Curious — where do you usually see the biggest gap? Is it in tracking status, accountability, or keeping a clean record for owners?






  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2026 · 67 posts · 35 votes
    6mo

    Self-managing a mid-size portfolio across LTRs, STRs, and flips. Tried AppFolio, spreadsheets, and various combinations.

    To @Ali Asadi question — the biggest frustration is that every tool solves one piece and nothing connects. Rent collection here, expense tracking there, contractor info in your phone, maintenance history in a spreadsheet, tenant communication in email and texts. You end up being the integration layer.

    To @Robert Donnelly point about maintenance coordination — that's where it gets really messy. Tenant reports a problem, you text a contractor, contractor calls you back, you email the tenant an update, then three months later you can't remember if that unit's water heater was the one you already replaced or the other one. When everything lives in different places, you lose the history and end up paying for the same problem twice.

    I ended up building my own system because I needed everything in one place — not because any single tool was bad, but because the gaps between them were costing me time and money.

  • Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
    6mo

    Coming at this from the commercial side — NNN and modified gross leases across retail and industrial in SoCal — and the software gap is even more pronounced than what you're all describing.

    AppFolio and Buildium are built for residential. The moment you need to track a CAM pool, gross up provisions, base year expense stops, or reconcile NNN charges against actual operating costs, you're back to spreadsheets. None of the mainstream platforms handle the lease accounting piece the way commercial actually works.

    I tried Yardi for a while but the minimum viable setup is overkill for a sub-20 unit portfolio and the implementation cost is a joke. MRI has the same problem. The honest answer is there's a giant gap between "residential PM software" and "enterprise commercial software" with nothing in the middle for small CRE operators.

    The QuickBooks integration issue is real too — I need expense data flowing into QB by property and cost category for CAM recon purposes, and most tools just dump everything into one bucket or require manual journal entries to fix it.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kyle S.:
    Quote from @Ali Asadi:
    Quote from @Kyle S.:

    Great question. I've used a few different platforms over the years and the biggest frustration across all of them was legal compliance, every state has different rules on security deposits, late fees, notice periods, and required disclosures, and none of the mainstream tools actually help you stay compliant. You end up Googling statutes yourself and hoping you got it right.

    The other pain point was cost structure. A lot of platforms advertise as "free" but then charge percentage-based fees on rent payments, which adds up fast.

    I actually ended up building my own solution (RentSolve AI - rentsolve.ai) because I couldn't find anything that solved the compliance piece. It uses AI to draft state-specific leases and has landlord-tenant law data for all 50 states built in. Free tier for 1 unit, paid plans start at $12/mo with zero platform fees on rent collection.

    Still early stage, but happy to answer questions if anyone's curious about the AI lease drafting or how the legal compliance works.

    That’s really interesting insight — especially the compliance issue. I’ve heard similar concerns from several managers who say most platforms are good at accounting and basic operations, but not very helpful when it comes to actually navigating legal requirements across jurisdictions.
    Curious about your experience building RentSolve AI — how are you maintaining the legal updates across all 50 states? Is it primarily a legal dataset you update periodically, or are you pulling from live regulatory sources?

    Also wondering: have users mainly been small landlords, or are property managers with larger portfolios showing interest as well?




    Good questions. The legal database was compiled from state revised statutes and annotated codes, all 50 states plus DC. Right now it's a dataset I built and review manually, not pulling from a live regulatory feed. The reality is landlord tenant laws don't change that often at the state level, maybe a handful of states update statutes in any given year, so periodic review keeps it current. When something big does change, like California's deposit cap update in 2024 or Colorado's new late fee limits in 2023, those get updated right away.

    On the user side, it's been almost entirely small landlords so far. The 1 to 10 unit range, people who self manage and don't want to pay a property management company 10% of rent every month. That's the sweet spot where compliance is still important but hiring a lawyer for every lease doesn't make financial sense. Haven't seen much interest from larger PMs yet, they tend to already have legal teams or established workflows.

    The multi-state angle is where it gets really interesting though. A landlord with a property in Texas and one in Massachusetts is dealing with completely different deposit rules, eviction timelines, late fee caps, and entry notice requirements. That's where the 50 state database pays off the most.

    That makes a lot of sense — especially your point about laws not changing frequently at the state level but requiring immediate updates when they do. The manual dataset approach seems practical for now.


    The multi-state challenge you mentioned is particularly interesting. Managing different deposit rules, notice periods, and fee structures across jurisdictions seems like where most of the real risk comes in — especially for smaller landlords without legal support.


    Curious — have you seen any challenges on the operational side (like tracking compliance across multiple properties over time), or is your focus mainly on lease creation and upfront compliance?



  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    Years ago I built an MS Access database app for Maintenance and Tenant Rental Agreement data. It worked well, and at the time I had over 500 units under management, with a large number of S8. Accounting was always a separate, bulletproof, double entry system and an otherwise very rigid and cumbersome...and was handled by accounting people. I just utilized and accessed various reports as needed for my own analysis or to review with Owner Clients.

    To add financial data, State specific rules for Rental Agreements, PLUS maintenance data, and tie it all up with a Bow is, not surprisingly, very difficult. Even a relational database has it's limits, and the simple fact is that developers of apps do not have the depth of subject knowledge in the operations of the full PM spectrum to create one. Too many variables that need to be viewed in too many forms. 

    PM-ing ain't easy!

    • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      Years ago I built an MS Access database app for Maintenance and Tenant Rental Agreement data. It worked well, and at the time I had over 500 units under management, with a large number of S8. Accounting was always a separate, bulletproof, double entry system and an otherwise very rigid and cumbersome...and was handled by accounting people. I just utilized and accessed various reports as needed for my own analysis or to review with Owner Clients.

      To add financial data, State specific rules for Rental Agreements, PLUS maintenance data, and tie it all up with a Bow is, not surprisingly, very difficult. Even a relational database has it's limits, and the simple fact is that developers of apps do not have the depth of subject knowledge in the operations of the full PM spectrum to create one. Too many variables that need to be viewed in too many forms. 

      PM-ing ain't easy!


      That’s a great perspective — especially your point about how hard it is to bring financials, compliance, and maintenance into one system. 

      In your experience, where did things usually break down? Was it the data itself, or how different people (owners, managers, accounting) needed to see it? Do you think a tool that focuses on showing insights across these areas — instead of trying to replace everything — would work better?





    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Ali Asadi:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      Years ago I built an MS Access database app for Maintenance and Tenant Rental Agreement data. It worked well, and at the time I had over 500 units under management, with a large number of S8. Accounting was always a separate, bulletproof, double entry system and an otherwise very rigid and cumbersome...and was handled by accounting people. I just utilized and accessed various reports as needed for my own analysis or to review with Owner Clients.

      To add financial data, State specific rules for Rental Agreements, PLUS maintenance data, and tie it all up with a Bow is, not surprisingly, very difficult. Even a relational database has it's limits, and the simple fact is that developers of apps do not have the depth of subject knowledge in the operations of the full PM spectrum to create one. Too many variables that need to be viewed in too many forms. 

      PM-ing ain't easy!


      That’s a great perspective — especially your point about how hard it is to bring financials, compliance, and maintenance into one system. 

      In your experience, where did things usually break down? Was it the data itself, or how different people (owners, managers, accounting) needed to see it? Do you think a tool that focuses on showing insights across these areas — instead of trying to replace everything — would work better?






      Combining Property/Unit Maintenance with Tenant Rental Agreement data is difficult, because both of these have so many variables in what a PM wants or needs to track, and how they want to view them. Data input needs to be logical and straightforward to capture new info very easily. I could, with 2 or 3 mouse clicks, generate a report of all service requests for a specific unit, or property, sorted either by date or by vendor WITH enough detail to actually understand what, precisely, was done each trip. I could also generate a Vendor report that totaled the year's invoices across 1 or all properties, which I used to negotiate better pricing in many instances. For Tenants, each adult had their contact info and vehicle info for each unit. Looking up a unit, I could see current or former Tenants and their Rental terms and change dates. I could Merge their address or email into recurring Notices and print or deliver them. One of the very frequent errors that occurs with manual systems or multiple list systems is the constant re-typing of Names and Addresses. My system used one data entry point to eliminate the repeat entries. Of course, the Accounting Department had to enter all of their info separately.

      How "different" people need to view the data is generally less important than just being ABLE to view it without a code driven system; without truncated "detail" and "comment" fields; but with enough appropriately named (or easily custom named) fields for their needs.

      I'm not sure how you would show "insights" effectively, facts with details are what is needed. Some people will want more detail than others, especially if they have lesser experience. 

      Just for random examples, Fields that I included were for locations of main electrical panels; water shut offs (including sketches and measurements for locating valves in streets or yards); frequency of cleaning and groundskeeping schedules per property; specific paint codes or product ID's if they were non-standard to our normal selections; key codes; and for Tenant info, if they had pets, we would note breed, weight, and a photo; for their vehicles, registration and  insurance info to ensure they remained legal; Renter's insurance policy renewal dates and image of dec pages; updates to their phone numbers or email as they occurred, but keeping the record of the old ones; the list goes on. 

      All digital photos were filed and accessible by date or project for the Property, and Unit.

      Was EVERY field filled on acquisition of the property? NO. As you, and your team "learn" the property, you add new info that will save you, or someone else, time and aggravation at some point in the future. You constantly are updating each property, unit, tenant as the info changes. We managed many properties for over 20 years. And had quite a few Tenants of over 10 years. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Los Angeles · Member since 2026 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Yanik Parsch:
    Quote from @Ali Asadi:

    I’m curious what software property managers here are currently using (AppFolio, Buildium, Rent Manager, self-built systems, etc.).

    More importantly — what’s the biggest frustration or limitation you experience with it?

    Is it reporting? Compliance tracking? Owner transparency? Cost? Integration gaps?

    Would love to hear real-world experiences from those actively managing portfolios.


    Good question — I feel like most of the frustration comes down to a few common things.

    From what I’ve seen (and experienced), biggest pain points tend to be:

    • Overly complex workflows — lots of clicks for simple tasks
    • Reporting gaps — needing to pull multiple reports and piece things together
    • Cost creep — paying for features you don’t really use
    • Slow performance / clunky UI once you scale a bit

    A lot of people on here and Reddit mention similar issues — especially around pricing, limited customization, and needing to stitch together reports manually

    For my own rentals, I ended up using Baselane’s platform because I mainly cared about the financial side being clean — rent collection, expense tracking, and property-level reporting all in one place. That’s where I was feeling the most friction before. The newer mobile app has also made it easier to keep an eye on things without logging into a full desktop setup.

    This is a really clear breakdown — and it lines up with a lot of what others have mentioned as well. The reporting point you made is especially interesting. Having to pull multiple reports and piece them together manually seems like a major friction point, particularly as portfolios grow. And I agree on cost creep — a lot of platforms bundle features that don’t always translate into real operational value.

    Baselane sounds like a good fit for the financial side. Curious — do you feel like it gives you enough visibility beyond accounting (like operational or risk-related insights), or do you still find yourself relying on other tools for that?






  • Property Manager · Calabasas, CA · Member since 2026 · 141 posts · 67 votes
    6mo

    To Robert and Ali's point about the maintenance lifecycle — this is exactly the gap I kept running into on the commercial side. For NNN tenants the maintenance flow is a bit different (tenant pays their own repairs in most cases, but you still own roof, structure, parking lot) but the coordination problem is identical. Tenant calls about a leak, you text a roofer, roofer texts back three days later, you forget to update the tenant, six months later there's a dispute about whether the same issue was properly addressed and nobody has a clean record of what happened when.

    The bigger problem Richard identified is also real — it's not just that the lifecycle isn't connected, it's that the data structure most PM tools use doesn't even accommodate the commercial lease model. When you have a tenant whose rent is base + NNN, and you need to track every operating expense against a CAM pool for annual reconciliation, you can't just log a repair as an expense against a property. You need to know: which expense category, which lease, which tenant's share, what the gross-up calculation is. None of that lives in the maintenance workflow of any mainstream platform.

    That's actually the specific problem I built pigjet.com to solve — commercial lease management with the CAM/NNN accounting baked in, not bolted on. Happy to talk through it if anyone's dealing with the same mess.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    6mo

    sms communication and email tracking, cost and pasting data in your own format, and document storage are all challenges.  

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2026 · 67 posts · 35 votes
    6mo

    @John M. John — same frustrations here. I manage lots of LTRs and STRs and the communication tracking across email, texts, calls, and internal notes was a mess when everything lived in different places. Making all communications auditable and protect myself legally was a far-fetched dream a couple of years ago.

    I ended up building my own system to keep all tenant communications and property management under one roof. Every interaction stays tied to the property and tenant regardless of channel. Fully auditable. It's been running my portfolio for a while now and honestly it's one of the modules I and my team rely on most day to day.

    Not something I've released publicly yet — it's still a competitive advantage for my own operations in my market — but I may open up limited beta access down the road if there's enough interest.

  • Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    The 'too many clicks' complaint resonates — most PM software was built for property managers, not landlords who self-manage 10-50 units. I've been working on something (Leasify) that takes the opposite approach: AI answers tenant calls, triages maintenance, and only bothers you when it actually matters. Still early but the frustrations in this thread are exactly what pushed me to build it. What's the one thing you wish your current tool did better?

  • Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 30 votes
    2mo

    We run Propertyware across 450+ single-family homes in DFW, and the communication fragmentation issue is real... we solved it by routing all tenant and vendor communication through one platform so there's a single thread tied to each property, no matter the channel. The other thing that changed our world is the owner portal — owners can see every invoice, every repair, every communication in real time without ever calling us. That transparency alone eliminates about 80% of the "what's happening with my property?" calls. Honestly, the tool matters less than the discipline to run everything through one system and not let anything live in someone's personal inbox.

  • Rachid AbadliBusiness Member
    Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2024 · 129 posts · 36 votes
    3w

    The pattern I see here is everyone solving one problem and creating three more. The biggest gaps in most PM software:

    1. Communication silos — tenant texts you, vendor emails you, owner calls you, and none of it is in one place. You need a single audit trail.

    2. Compliance is an afterthought — landlord-tenant law varies by state and changes annually. Most software doesn't even try to track deposit limits, notice periods, or rent cap rules.

    3. Maintenance lifecycle breaks — getting a ticket from a tenant is easy. Tracking it through vendor assignment → quote → approval → completion → payment is where everything falls apart.

    4. "Free" doesn't mean free — most "free" platforms charge tenants per transaction or upsell you the moment you need a lease template.

    Before switching, write down which of these four is actually costing you the most time or money. That's the feature to optimize for.

    LeaseBase.ai
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.