Investing Software/Online Tools

6 Replies

I am a new investor and am wondering what the best software/online tools are for investing. What are the biggest flaws with this software/online tools?

What type of investing are you trying to get into?

Residential, but looking to move into commercial.

Are you referring to buy-and-hold? I usually think of types of investing as "buy-and-hold", "fix-and-flip", "wholesale", etc. Depending on the type(s) of investing you want to do, there may be better websites to recommend.

For buy and hold, I'd try to find access to your local tax assessment site (preferably something that has as much info on every property in your local as possible). You'll also want to pick out a site or two for determining rents (I like www.padmapper.com). As for sourcing properties, if you don't have MLS access, the next best options are www.realtor.com, the top 2 or 3 FSBO sites and Craigslist.

I'd suggest staying away from Trulia and/or Zillow.

@Nathan Joens

Podio is great for CRM.

Rentometer works well for determining rent rates, but I would add that in with zillow estimates.

I use Google Track (Android only) for driving for dollars.

ContactMonkey is great for tracking emails in Google.

MailChimp is nice for creating mailing list campaigns.

I use YouTube to upload property videos, but make them unlisted so you can only access with a link.

Evernote, duh.

Google Sheets has been useful.

Obviously some sort of cloud service, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.

Google Voice is good.

Oh and the BiggerPockets analysis tools!

Originally posted by @Michael Seeker :
Are you referring to buy-and-hold? I usually think of types of investing as "buy-and-hold", "fix-and-flip", "wholesale", etc. Depending on the type(s) of investing you want to do, there may be better websites to recommend.

For buy and hold, I'd try to find access to your local tax assessment site (preferably something that has as much info on every property in your local as possible). You'll also want to pick out a site or two for determining rents (I like www.padmapper.com). As for sourcing properties, if you don't have MLS access, the next best options are www.realtor.com, the top 2 or 3 FSBO sites and Craigslist.

Why do you suggest staying away from Trulia and ZIllow? Is it because because of Zestimate?

Originally posted by @Nathan Joens :
Originally posted by @Michael Siekerka:

Why do you suggest staying away from Trulia and ZIllow? Is it because because of Zestimate?

The information is usually outdated and anything either site provides regarding property values is usually very far from truth. Both sites can be useful at times, but you have to use them with the assumption that just about everything about a property on there could be incorrect.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.