Future of Google Voice

8 Replies

This is for all who use Google Voice. 

http://9to5google.com/2014/03/18/google-plans-kill-google-voice-in-months-integrate-features-into-hangouts/

Indeed. Google Voice users may want to implement their exit strategy sooner rather than later.

I hate to see this. I dropped my land line a couple of years ago for Google Voice and have not regretted at all. We will just have to wait and see how this plays out.

I'm not sure I 100% buy this. I've been reading about the death of Google Voice for 2+ years now. I'm certain the day will come, but I'm not so sure it's an imminent demise. Plus, if you look at how Google has shuttered their other services (notably gReader), they gave months of heads up to their consumers and a whole host of alternate services rose to the top.

The real question to me is when they kill the service, what happens to the millions of numbers that were created in gVoice?

Brian,

I saw your comment regarding this development in my "business cards for wholesaling thread," and then fortunately I found this thread as well. For you or anyone else reading this, I don't quite get what this implies (admittedly I'm not much of a techie). Bottom line -- does this mean that a currently-existing Google Voice number will no longer be valid (thereby making any business cards I have with the Google Voice number on it useless)? If these numbers do, in fact, stop working, I would have to think that would be a problem for many investors (even J Scott recommends it in his book).

If so, any alternatives that you like? Obviously, I just don't feel 100% comfortable giving out to so many people my "real" phone number!

Thanks.

@Brian Parks  @Jordan Solomon  There are paid alternatives. Let me know if you find another free one! 

In my business we use eVoice.com (another popular one is grasshopper.com) which are phone management systems which do what google voice does and some more. For about 12 bucks a month we have a number that forwards incoming calls to my phone. Also you can record a voice message. And it has, similar to Google voice, a voicemail management system that allows you to track your voicemails on your phone or computer

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by @Najeriq Mentor:

@Brian Parks @Jordan Solomon  There are paid alternatives. Let me know if you find another free one! 

In my business we use eVoice.com (another popular one is grasshopper.com) which are phone management systems which do what google voice does and some more. For about 12 bucks a month we have a number that forwards incoming calls to my phone. Also you can record a voice message. And it has, similar to Google voice, a voicemail management system that allows you to track your voicemails on your phone or computer

Hope this helps!

Although we do not utilize GV, we wanted to present this topic, with the understanding that many here on BP utilize GV. Thanks for sharing.