Email

8 Replies

I prefer to have an email system independent of my Internet Service Provider.  Others have said Google gmail is good, but I currently have folders for each of my houses as well as folders for other topics like my stock investments.  Gmail does NOT allow me to add folders.  Am I missing something?  Why is it so popular?  I must be missing a feature.

I'm not really a gmail fan.  I only have a gmail address so that I can use some of the other google features.  I still prefer yahoo and hotmail.com/live.com for email addresses with customizable folders.

Mark Forest , doesn't the "label" feature of gmail work just like your folders?  You can manually label any email or set up rules to automatically label them.  You can nest labels within other labels.

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property
Originally posted by @Brett Russell :

@Steve Might , doesn't the "label" feature of gmail work just like your folders?  

Well maybe that is what I missed.  So I assign a label and then how do I list it if I want a list of all emails for one specific house? 

Originally posted by Mark Forest:
Originally posted by @Brett Russell:

Mark Forest , doesn't the "label" feature of gmail work just like your folders?  

Well maybe that is what I missed.  So I assign a label and then how do I list it if I want a list of all emails for one specific house? 

I was just looking at my gmail inbox a bit more... you can move emails out of your inbox to the corresponding folder (ie "123 main st", "135 main st" etc) or you can just leave them in your inbox and label them with the same titles.  You can create as many titles as you want.  

Then, underneath the normal, "inbox" "sent" "spam" folders, you have all the folders listed.  Just click on the one you are interested in and all the emails you put into that folder or labeled that way will show up.

@Steve Might , doesn't the "label" feature of gmail work just like your folders?  

Steve - not sure if you're still looking into Gmail. But yes, labels work similar to folders. And depending on how you use it, it can actually be better as you can apply multiple labels to a message (although some will prefer the hierarchal structure of folders within folders).

So you basically create labels (like you would folders), then you can move messages to them. You can access the labels on the left pane (below the default labels like inbox, sent, trash, etc.).  

Since Google got its start as a search engine, I think that is one of the best functionalities that they have. The ability to use the search function to find a particular message. In fact, when you click on a label, it essentially is just doing a search for all messages with that label (you'll actually see the query syntax populated in the search window). You can, of course, also type in your own searches - essentially googling your own mailbox ;-). 

Also - Google has two offerings: their free consumer stuff, as well as a business offering that gives you a bit more storage (and other functionalities such as a SLA and backup). The cost is very low, so it may be worth looking into as well.  

Finally - keep in mind that if you use an email application (e.g. Outlook), you can still manage your mail that way (using folders etc.).  

@Mark Yu    Thanks to you and the other posters I have learned a lot about gmail that I was missing.    What is SLA?  Also I have never been quite clear on how the Outlook program works and what it does. Thanks for the help.

@Mark Yu   Thanks to you and the other posters I have learned a lot about gmail that I was missing.    What is SLA?  Also I have never been quite clear on how the Outlook program works and what it does. Thanks for the help.

SLA = service level agreement. When you use the free tiers of service (be it gmail, yahoo, etc.), there is normally no SLA. In other words, they don't guarantee any level of up time or service (on the other hand, you're not paying for anything). When you start subscribing to paid services, they'll usually guarantee some type of service structure. Whether or not one needs to be concerned with this will depend on their use. Essentially, how much impact would there be if you had no access to email for an hour? a day? 

Microsoft Outlook is essentially an email client. From a technical stand point, there is two parts that make email work. The servers that passes emails from back and forth (Microsoft's Exchange is the most used solution in the enterprise space), the other side is the communication between the server and the end user. That is typically facilitated by applications like Outlook (which allows you to compose, read, manage emails).  Web based applications are what's being used by Gmail, yahoo etc. You're just accessing it via a web browser. Actually, Outlook is also available as a web application.