Website Application Costs

11 Replies

I have a concept I would like to turn into an e-business. The business would be run through an online web application. I have drafted up a small business plan, and started looking at expenses to get going. Obviously the web application  would be the most important part.

I called about ten web developers today, I spoke to about three of them. They took their time and listened to the concept. I received price quotes from $50,000-$100,000. I was shocked!

How much have you payed for a custom web application?

Who did you use?

...I am going to continue to shop around. Or even contact local universities to see if I can get a "knowledgeable" student who just got out of school to take on the project and see if I can get a more competitive price. 

@Brandon Turner  How much did BP cost to make? Who developed the site?

Hi Stephen, a typical web application can range anywhere from $10k to $100k+. It all depends on what it's doing and how complex it is. There will also be a big difference in developing a MVP vs fully featured web product that is production quality and ready to handle not only hundreds of thousands but millions of of simultaneous users. 

I'd be happy to chat further if you'd like. I am not only a real estate investor but also a seasoned IT professional. I also design web applications for my select few clients. 

I second what Sam said - a custom web app design is not cheap at all. What you were quoted seems reasonable from what I have seen myself in the past.

Depending on what you're trying to do, there may be other routes, like starting with a simpler web site or going for mobile right off the bat. I'm finishing development of my first mobile application that took me about 4 months, working myself part-time (I learned all of the coding for it too).

PM me is you want to chat some more!

Medium bp dealcheck logoAnton Ivanov, DealCheck - RE Analysis | [email protected] | https://DealCheck.io

Try elance. You will find plenty of people that can build your site for about 1/10th of the cost.

@Sam Shah  & @Anton Ivanov , thanks for the advice. I have found someone who can use a cookie cutter web design to get me going for about $5,000+. It sounds like it will be a mix of Wordpress and some custom code. 

I have someone in the family who is IT savey, and can can help keep these other developers honest and on track to not "over develop" for my needs/wants. I think part of the issue was I was getting quoted for a fully customizable, hard coded web application, and I am just not there yet. I think I will start with something simpler to get going for now.

@Anthony Peric I have looked at elance and the rent a coder sites. I agree interesting, I am just worried that they would drag the project and meet my needs at a minimum to extend the project.

I found someone in town who I could meet with face to face, if need be that I think can accomplish what I need done.

That sounds more like what I would do. There are hundreds of plugins available for WordPress that may offer the exact functionalities you need and it's fairly inexpensive to built custom ones. To give you an idea, this entire website is built on WordPress.

Medium bp dealcheck logoAnton Ivanov, DealCheck - RE Analysis | [email protected] | https://DealCheck.io

@Stephen Collins holy sticker shock!! I used to work for NYC ad agencies and know that sites can certainly cost that much and then some (much more) but I think you need to find someone who is more aligned with your budget. 

My site, www.joefairless.com, cost about 3k total and that includes design and development. My other site, www.fairlessinvesting.com cost about 1k. 

Medium logo1Joe Fairless, Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever | http://www.apartmentsyndication.com | Podcast Guest on Show #227

@Stephen Collins

I have personally used elance several times and all the contractors I have hired have received 5 stars from me. You can set up timelines for projects and when they need to be accomplished. No money leaves the escrow account until the project is complete. You can set up custom terms your way. Most of the contractors get on Skype to discuss the project and throughout the build process. FYI.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Stephen Collins :

@Sam Shah  & @Anton Ivanov , thanks for the advice. I have found someone who can use a cookie cutter web design to get me going for about $5,000+. It sounds like it will be a mix of Wordpress and some custom code. 

I have someone in the family who is IT savey, and can can help keep these other developers honest and on track to not "over develop" for my needs/wants. I think part of the issue was I was getting quoted for a fully customizable, hard coded web application, and I am just not there yet. I think I will start with something simpler to get going for now.

Would your family member be interested in a partnership?  That may be the best way to start out.  Even if your goal isn't to do development long-term, it wouldn't be a bad idea to be hands-ons to start off.  

It sounds like you are planning on implementing a relatively simple application/website initially and adding to it.  The best strategy may be to develop an initial prototype in-house.  I would then try to get some beta testing of the prototype, before committing to a serious development effort.

If you want people to pay for your application/website - I think where you can set yourself apart from the competition/potential competition is providing support.  Another advantage of providing good support is you get valuable feedback, which allows you to make your product stronger.

@Jesse T. My family member has agreed to start the project. They are going to build a "straw type" prototype of the website. They will keep track of their hours, and if/when any money is made we will figure out what the "time was worth".

@Anton Ivanov If BP is built on something like Wordpress then I think I will start there. Hardcode can always be written on later on down the road if things take off

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! Our storyboard is being built now and hopefully soon a the prototype. Once I have a semi functional web app, I will be sure to share it here and see what you all think.