cross-referencing my spreadsheet with MLS

11 Replies

Being a Realtor I can't solicit properties that are already listed. I can input individual addresses in the MLS to see if they're listed but when you get to hundreds/thousands of addresses you need to cross reference, that's not so doable.

Any ideas?

Try focusing on expired listings only? They are no longer listed. Where are you getting your list of thousands from? I thought it was relatively easy to work the MLS to get the same types of lists.

Originally posted by @Steven J. :

Try focusing on expired listings only? They are no longer listed. Where are you getting your list of thousands from? I thought it was relatively easy to work the MLS to get the same types of lists.

My average letter run is about 1000 give or take, between initial mailer and followups. Listsource is $0.08 per address, at those prices 1000 addresses is pretty inexpensive. 

How many follow ups are you doing? And what's your marketing material? Letter and postcards, zip letters?

@Clayton P.

I don't have a great answer for your question regarding cross-referencing with the MLS. What I would suggest, and is something that my company does with some of its mailers, is to include verbiage at the bottom of a letter or postcard that says something to the effect of "If your home is already listed or you are working with a Realtor, please disregard."

You have probably heard it on radio ads for brokers before. To protect yourself simply include some verbiage along the line of "If your home is currently listed with another agent, this is not a solicitation of that listing." And you could continue to say "If so please disregard this letter" 

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys but I'm aware of the disclaimers. I'm specifically looking for a way to help cross reference. The disclaimer alone isn't enough for my particular situation, my broker is insisting I don't solicit properties already listed, end of story. I'm surprised there's nothing out there for this?

@Clayton P.

Assuming you have two spreadsheets:

List 1. Your mailing addresses and

List 2. All the listings in your farm area (can be exported from MLS)

then you can have a VBA program do the reconciliation for you. Basically on a line by line basis check if address in List 1 is in List 2...if it is remove it. This is assuming you have columns for addresses that are matchable (i.e. 123 Main Street). Sounds like an interesting project. I have a software engineering background..let me know if you need any help with this.

If you have Access Database and the addresses are exactly the same in both lists or there is some sort of unique identifier that is the same on both lists (possibly parcel numbers), then you can import both spreadsheets into Access. Access database allows you to build a relationship between both spreadsheets and then you can tell it how to present that information. You can request that it leave addresses off the list that appear in your MLS list or delete the duplicates. This will leave you a list that only contains those properties that are not listed on the MLS. If you are unfamiliar with Access it is a great way to manipulate data that Excel doesn't offer. Check it out.

@Eddie Hernandez  

@Cheryl Packham

These are the kind of answers I was looking for. I'm definitely going to try both of these and see which works better for my needs, they both sound solid. Much appreciated guys

Definitely look into Cheryl's idea.  Access is a great tool if you have it.  Good luck!

Clayton, if you need help with the Access Database let me know.  I would be happy to give it a shot. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here