Please help me choose a domain name!

11 Replies

Hi BP!

I am going to build a basic site on Weebly and I have a question about which domain name I should choose.

With organic SEO in mind, which option do you think is best...

cash4myhouse-(city name).com
cashformyhouse-(city name).com

cash4yourhouse-(city name).com
cashforyourhouse-(city name).com

homebuyers-(city name).com

webuy(city name)properties.com

Most wholesalers are not waiting for sellers to find them online which knowing you will have a brand new site, this will take a long time to be found by sellers.

I think you should spend a few bucks working on direct mail and going after possible sellers to specific lists. 

Regarding your website names, I like your last one best.

I agree with @Curt Davis .  Websites take a while to build good enough traffic that produce results.  Unless, of course, you are planning to do a big google adwords campaign or other paid advertising.  

I'd recommend either direct mail or networking with other investors, real estate agents, attorneys, etc.  

With that said, you can find out how much traffic each domain would get based on those keywords through Google Adwords.

Originally posted by @Melissa Searing :

Hi BP!

I am going to build a basic site on Weebly and I have a question about which domain name I should choose.

With organic SEO in mind, which option do you think is best...

cash4myhouse-(city name).com
cashformyhouse-(city name).com

cash4yourhouse-(city name).com
cashforyourhouse-(city name).com

homebuyers-(city name).com

webuy(city name)properties.com

If you really want to push SEO you want to find a domain name exact to something someone would search for. Example howtosellmyhome(cityname).com

Then focus on, in order of importance

1. Geolocating your site to your specific city

2. Original content formatted with correct <h> and <p>

3. Site load speed/image seo

4. Videos (also geo-located)

5. Social Media Shares

6. Links Links Links

7. Google ads

If you want to stick with the one of domain names you listed I would recommend

cashformyhouse(cityname).com fyi no hyphens they're gehtto 

You won't get the SEO brownie points of direct search but focus on the 7 steps and you will have your site up in 6 months or less... :) 

The domain name actually does not matter for SEO with Google. So choose whichever the user is most comfortable going to. So I'd agree with Michel Lee, no hyphens and spell out your numbers. 

To see what people are searching for use Googles free keyword planner and see the search volume for each keyword. Like: "cash for my house" or "cash for your house" and see which has greater volume. Although it might not matter on the domain name, you will have this phrase thoughout your website which does matter for SEO. 

To add to the list above, content is king. Create a blog and write on key word focused topics to drive organic search. I'd also add links much higher up on the list, number two to content. 

Last note, Google adsnese does NOT increase your SEO.

As others stated, use direct mail. That doesn't stop you from registering all the names you listed, building a site, and having all of them point to it.

Thank you all for your replies. I do plan to do direct mail and I am networking with local people, but I would like to get a site up now. A few years from now I think I will be happy I did. 

All of this info is great and I will utilize it all. And most importantly, I will avoid ghetto hyphens! ;) Thanks guys

As @Major Robertson stated the domain name has little impact these days on your organic SEO rankings. This was different 3-4 years ago. Google has extensively changed their algorithms over the last few years placing other factors as much higher value ie, unique/powerful content, powerful back links related in your niche, Key-worded appropriately (1-3%/keyword/page) ect.  

SEO is very confusing because a lot of information you end up finding on it is outdated even by a few months. Also a lot of the information is from non experts and state their opinion as fact.

@Melissa Searing

No offense to the other guys in here saying not to set up a site... But they are dead wrong. Everyone should have a website these days. It's very very simple but one thing I would suggest is going through WordPress. There is a lot of freedom on WordPress (.org not .com)

The best part about setting up your website is you can be in your pajamas and drinking wine while you do it... It's pretty fun! 

Once it's set up watch a few youtube videos about google ad words. 

Furthermore, Facebook campaigns are a great option too... I use videos for my FB. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I can help. Online is a great tool and I wish you the best in 2016! 

Happy NY! 

cheers, 

I believe keywords in your domain still makes a difference in terms of SEO. Ideally you want a branded domain name that includes your target keyword(s), but still sounds like a brand name.

Here's a good article with some supportive data: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/how-your-domain-name-will-impact-seo-social-media-marketing/

Can you rank a site with no target keywords included? Of course. But why not just include one or two of your target words for branding alone - and take any (even marginal) benefits of SEO? HOME Depot, BURGER King, TACO Bell, OFFICE Max. If you'd never heard of these brands, you can guess what they are. If you'd never heard of McDonalds, or Walmart, you'd have no idea. Online, you're going to get a better click-through-rate when your domain is sitting next to your competitors domain, and your domain clearly states what you do.

Also when Google reps say "doing XYZ won't benefit your SEO", consider the source. They don't want to admit their search engine can be manipulated.

Here are a few variables. keywords in the domain name help very little with google, but they help a little more with bing. DO NOT buy a domain with the word home, if you cannot also buy the domain with the word house. Also, buy the singular and plural if there is any possible confusion.

Get the shortest possible domain name that you like and then make sure the search terms you are targeting are part of your title, H1 and your alt tags. At least 1200 words per page but preferably 2000 naturally written words with no grammatical errors. 

You are on your way.