Keyless combination entry locks a good idea?

Keyless combination entry locks a good idea?

UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes

I have only been able to find a few posts on the use of keyless locks. I am thinking of a changeover to keyless, but wondering whether to go digital or mechanical. I have the Schlage digital on my house and I LOVE them. They save so much time and hassle. I once had an emergency while out of town and was able to give the code to a family member over the phone and alleviate the problem. It then took about 30 seconds to change the code upon return.

The one other unit I have them on has also been nice, as I don't need to give the tenant a key, and don't need to change the locks between tenants (just a quick code change).

However, these locks are very expensive, and there are pros and cons to the mechanical vs. electronic. The electronic are nice because you can program multiple codes, you can program temporary codes, and they are backlit so you can see the buttons at night. The draw backs are that they require batteries, they are not as heavy duty, and there is always risk of the electronics failing and locking you out. The mechanical locks are only able to have one code, but they do not take batteries and typically never fail. I have also seen both models available with a self-locking feature, which I think is nice because it ensures the door is locked.

I use a mechanical lockbox (similar to a realtor Supra combination lock) on the outside of the property for a master and extra keys and it has also been very convenient. I had a tenant break off a key, and was able to give them the code to get the extra key without going out to the property.

So, given the differences, would you go with mechanical or electronic? The 'good' mechanical are actually as expensive or more as the electronic (there must be a HUGE markup on them). The big thing keeping me debating is the back light. I was going to install LED motion lights anyway, so I am hoping that would provide enough light to not need the backlit models. The locksmith I spoke to said the electronic ones are not a good long term solution because of the possibility of them going out (and expense of then replacing it again), and I really like the dependability/reliability of the mechanical. Is anyone else using these? If so, do you recommend mechanical or electronic (and why)? If not, what way would you go?

3Reply
231 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
12y

Hmm these sound interesting, until I heard the batteries part. Batteries go dead fast in cold weather. And we have seen a ton of single digit temps this year.

I use landlord locks, each unit is keyed independently, yet I have a master key that works on all of them.

I can change out the tumbler and rekey a house in 15 seconds per handle. I think they cost me about $45 per hand set w a dead bolt. But they are very nice strong locks.

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y

    I use smart key locks. I can rekey in less than a minute. I see no point in spending big bucks for combo locks for rentals

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    It is a high cost, but it seems so much more convenient than keys. And I can let in vendors without coordinating keys.

    How do the smart key locks work--do you buy extra lock-specific key blanks and program it to the lock, or are you just rotating a pool of keys that are set to work with the lock?

  • Investor · Clarksville, IN · Member since 2012 · 226 posts · 96 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mike Palmer:
    I have only been able to find a few posts on the use of keyless locks. I am thinking of a changeover to keyless, but wondering whether to go digital or mechanical. I have the Schlage digital on my house and I LOVE them. They save so much time and hassle. I once had an emergency while out of town and was able to give the code to a family member over the phone and alleviate the problem. It then took about 30 seconds to change the code upon return.

    The one other unit I have them on has also been nice, as I don't need to give the tenant a key, and don't need to change the locks between tenants (just a quick code change).

    However, these locks are very expensive, and there are pros and cons to the mechanical vs. electronic. The electronic are nice because you can program multiple codes, you can program temporary codes, and they are backlit so you can see the buttons at night. The draw backs are that they require batteries, they are not as heavy duty, and there is always risk of the electronics failing and locking you out. The mechanical locks are only able to have one code, but they do not take batteries and typically never fail. I have also seen both models available with a self-locking feature, which I think is nice because it ensures the door is locked.

    I use a mechanical lockbox (similar to a realtor Supra combination lock) on the outside of the property for a master and extra keys and it has also been very convenient. I had a tenant break off a key, and was able to give them the code to get the extra key without going out to the property.

    So, given the differences, would you go with mechanical or electronic? The 'good' mechanical are actually as expensive or more as the electronic (there must be a HUGE markup on them). The big thing keeping me debating is the back light. I was going to install LED motion lights anyway, so I am hoping that would provide enough light to not need the backlit models. The locksmith I spoke to said the electronic ones are not a good long term solution because of the possibility of them going out (and expense of then replacing it again), and I really like the dependability/reliability of the mechanical. Is anyone else using these? If so, do you recommend mechanical or electronic (and why)? If not, what way would you go?

    How do you know what the markup is?

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    I don't, but that was not the point. I bought supra combo lock boxes for about $20. They threw on a handle, backing plate, latch and striker plate and they are going for $150?

  • Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2013 · 93 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I use the Schlage digital locks. We were using the lock boxes with the 4 dial codes, however we had problems with people not resetting the code to 0000 and anyone could access the key if the dials were not moved. We had one key stolen while on vacation and had to call a locksmith and rekey. The Schlage digital locks are working GREAT. I would get the ones without a switch to turn off the auto lock. The auto lock in 5 seconds is a good feature. They are expensive, however Amazon has them at a reduced price sometimes.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I had been thinking about these too. They are coming out with the kind that uses a key as well and installs over the deadbolt. I had been considering using them on a multifamily main door and basement. It would be nice to have this for the workmen who need to get in. You would not need to be there for the furnace guy (although I would likely still go). For the basement the tenants would only need to get in if they tripped a breaker. Right now that basement door is unlocked and I have some concern about visitors accidently goes that way. For actual apartments I think I would still use a key.

    I also like that they automatically lock. I have this one tenant who insists on leaving the main door open. She is moving out but she so ticks me off on this point even though you post a sign and tell her to close it. This lock combined with an automatic closer would hopefully make sure the door is closed and locked routinely.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Randy King:
    I use the Schlage digital locks.

    They are expensive, however Amazon has them at a reduced price sometimes.

    I have the Schlage digitals on my own house and I do like them. My locksmith said they will not last like the mechanical locks though. I don't think I have ever heard of a mechanical lock failing (outside of abuse), but I hear about digital lock failures all the time. It is a hefty expense initially, so I definitely can't afford to be replacing them every few years. I like all the advantages of the digital except the longevity/durability...

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    I think it'd depend on your need for frequent or remote rekeying or opening, versus tougher security - so it might depend on where your rentals are located.

    Consumer Reports had this to say about the digitals:

  • Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2013 · 93 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    We use them when renting SFHs. We have the prospect drive by and then call for the code if they want to see the inside. I replace it with a regular knob and change the battery with each use. The feedback on Amazon when I purchased them was to make sure you replaced the battery regularly.

  • Lender · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 88 posts · 38 votes
    12y

    i have on on a vacation rental and it works great. I love the ability to change the code anytime. There are a few new locks coming out that can be linked to the internet wirelessly (is that a word), great for changing on line, tracking in and outs, ect. Some also work through bluetooth so you can text them the info and it somehow opens the door.

    Now, i would not suggest it for a SFR. I use locks that can be rekeyed anytime, i love being able to change the key with the old keys from another home. I have ALL my houses with the same locks and it makes my life SO easy.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I don't think I would use them on a rent house. Like you mentioned the batteries go out and they call you if they don't have the key to get in. Kwikset has a lock that is fairly cheap and you can rekey with any other kwikset key in seconds. I use them on all the time. They don't cost anymore than a regular lockset.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    Hmm these sound interesting, until I heard the batteries part. Batteries go dead fast in cold weather. And we have seen a ton of single digit temps this year.

    I use landlord locks, each unit is keyed independently, yet I have a master key that works on all of them.

    I can change out the tumbler and rekey a house in 15 seconds per handle. I think they cost me about $45 per hand set w a dead bolt. But they are very nice strong locks.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    I will have to look into the landlord locks thing, it sounds interesting. How do you get new/different/extra keys if you want to change something? Can you order new/additional locksets (say if you acquire a new unit) and have them still match your master key?

    As to the batteries: I have had the schlage digital on my personal residence for over a year now. It is working great and no battery issues (I have heard batteries last 3-4 years on my model, as it does not have the motor that moves the plunger--those kind are the battery killers). However, I am leaning toward the mechanical models for rental units. I like the idea of no batteries and simple/bulletproof operation. The biggest downside to the mechanical units is they are not back lit (hard to see buttons in the dark). If I install better/proper lighting at the unit I think this could be a non-issue. They also can only have one code (which I guess is really no worse than only one key that fits the lock), where the digital units can have multiple (and even temporary) codes.

    I have a door that is tight in the winter when it's cold (seems fine in the summer, but I think just needs an adjustment), and a tenant broke a key trying to get in. You need to kind of pull on the door to turn the knob, and he didn't really pull. He happened to mention that he often has his hands full and it is hard to pull on the door, use the key, and turn the knob at the same time with other stuff in his hands. He is an AMAZING tenant and I saw this as an opportunity to upgrade the lock to the keypad kind with a lever instead of a knob so he doesn't have to even carry a key and it would be easier to get in. The cost is the only other factor holding me back from making the change, but I wonder if this extra expense and the added convenience to him would be a factor in getting him to renew/stay longer by making upgrades that make a difference to him and showing that I appreciate him as a tenant...

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I also use the Schlage keypad door locks for my vacation rentals. It makes it easy to facilitate check ins with guests without having to be there at 1:00 in the morning. The backlit feature is very nice and I have only had to change the batteries once in 5 years. I'm currently looking into the locks that you can control remotely. If anyone has had luck with those, I'd love to hear about it.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We also prefer the electronic Schlage locks, though have tested others, principally because they only unlock the door and do not operate the deadbolt.

    We use a wireless model with our building management system which allows us to remotely add/remove/suspend access codes and allows our tenants to open the door using their smart phone {a big hit with the university crowd}.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:
    We also prefer the electronic Schlage locks, though have tested others, principally because they only unlock the door and do not operate the deadbolt.

    We use a wireless model with our building management system which allows us to remotely add/remove/suspend access codes and allows our tenants to open the door using their smart phone {a big hit with the university crowd}.

    Do you mind sharing what wireless model you are using?

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Mike Palmer

    Certainly. We have tested/deployed our system with the Schalge Century, Camelot and LiNK/Nexia (FE599NX CAM 619 ACC 619) z-wave based family of deadbolts and door sets.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Chris Adams:

    I use landlord locks, each unit is keyed independently, yet I have a master key that works on all of them.

    I can change out the tumbler and rekey a house in 15 seconds per handle. I think they cost me about $45 per hand set w a dead bolt. But they are very nice strong locks.

    Hey Chris: I like this concept, but are you saying they cost you $45 for both (a locking deadbolt AND a locking entry knob), or each? I am getting quoted almost that much for just the deadbolt, and then in was about an additional $65 for the locking entry handle...

    On a single family with multiple doors this is going to cost me hundreds of dollars to rekey initially. It would obviously save time and money in the future, but I could rekey my existing locks for the next 5-10 tenants for less than it would cost to change over to this system. Am I looking at something different than you are describing, or were you referencing the approximate price per lock (not both for $45 total)?

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    @Mike Palmer I was mistaken, the handset and dead bolt are $27.88 each, there is a shipping charge also I think. The lock are one of the things I just assume pay a bit more for and get quality, plus the master key makes my life easy.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    When I called them they quoted me a bit more than that, and that was supposedly the tradeshow pricing or whatever they called it that they told me was the cheapest possible price.

    I noticed on their site it says prices listed were valid as of last June and that pricing can change any time. It appears prices have gone up significantly since then...

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    I have been using the Schlage locks on my personal residence for 7 months now, and it has been great. As tenants turn over, I'll be installing them on the rentals to eliminate lockout calls and so I don't have to rely on my giant key ring.

    I won't use them for apartments where the front door is right on the street because neighbors could watch my tenants enter the keypad code, for those I'll do it on the back door.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We use a variety of {ZWave/Zigbee} electronic locks, but mostly Schlage as they do not power the deadbolt which makes for a longer battery life.

    They provide our tenants with the ability to use their smartphones to open the door and provide us, though our building monitoring/management system, to remotely provision and manage access {i.e. we can easily issue a on-time, or one-day passcode to a tradesman}.

    We do not have this system universally deployed yet, but are gradually working it across our properties.

  • Property Manager · Greentown, IN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Roy N. Any new news on the remotely controlled deadbolt systems?  Looking to get one for a vacation rental that I will manage for a different state. I havn't found anything online about them. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mark Bradford:

    Roy N. Any new news on the remotely controlled deadbolt systems?  Looking to get one for a vacation rental that I will manage for a different state. I havn't found anything online about them. 

     Mark:

    We primarily use the Schlage LiNK wireless deadbolts {but use our own system, not Schlage's LiNK}.  Unlike most of their competition, these Schlage locks do not power the deadbolt, but simply unlock it ... there is a knob to manually slide the deadbolt.   We have selected these for two principal reasons:

    1) Longer battery life:  An electronic deadbolt which powers {slides} the bolt will consume more energy.  Simply unlocking the door and allowing the user to turn the bolt yields far longer battery life;

    2) A powered deadbolt often will not lock/unlock if the door has shifted.  If you are putting these locks in older, stick-built properties and live where there is winter, you know that doors can shift.  A powered deadbolt will not lock if the strike is misaligned.  Similarly, it may lack the torque to unlock if the door has shifted slightly.

    We have tried other wireless doorlocks, but have settled on the above model.   When looking, I believe Schlage now has a new line of Zwave locks that does power the deadbolt.  We have yet to experiment with those.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    I recently bought one of the Schlage keypad deadbolts (BE365VPLY505) then bought a kit from eRentLock to upgrade it for use as a lock for a vacation rental. You can also buy the lock from them directly, but I found a deal on the lock locally so buying the kit made more sense for me.

    With this system, you can remotely generate a combination for a tenant. The combination will only work for the length of their stay and will then expire. These codes can be made for anywhere from 1 hour to 732 days. It also has the concept of "group access" to allow a worker (think cleaning crew) to access any one of your properties. They don't require an Internet connection, and you can generate an access code from anywhere. This sounds like magic, but it uses an encryption/decryption technology to use codes that are already built into the lock.

    I haven't installed it yet, but I did play around with it a bit, and it worked as it was supposed to in my trials. Those who have used them seem to swear by them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.