Tiling vs Stain vs Carpet vs Panel - Flooring Showdown!

5 Replies

I love acid stained concrete, I enjoy the look of it, and the easy maintenance. However, this doesn't seem to add the most resale value to an investment. Panel is in, but the installation costs are so high, as are repairs. What do you think? Past experiences with each?

High traffic area, I love Vinyl plank! Alure product is fantastic! It's so easy to install, looks great, it's a bit of work to replace a really damaged plank but it still can be done. I can't speak high enough about it

Carpet: never

Tile: nowhere but kitchen and bath in the NE

Stained slab: never seen it, but I doubt it would go over with tenants anywhere but a kitchen.

Hardwood: the gold standard of what people want/expect to see

floating floor laminate or LVP: a very practical alternative to hardwood.

Rental or flip?

Personally I have only ever used Hardwood, Tile and Carpet in living spaces. I am interested in the LV Plank everyone raves about. I have never been in a house with them, so I don't know how they truly feel under foot. I prefer true hardwood flooring.

For rentals I put tile throughout if the property has a concrete slab. Of no slab, or for a flip, I put the vinyl plank. It's also a lot less work (I save > $100/hour doing it myself compared to hiring a contractor).

Hi Anna,

I like the acid stained concrete as well, the sky is the limit on how creative you can get. I will say though always keep in mind resale whether it is a rental, flip, or permanent residence.

I would keep the stain pattern a little subdued and neutral in color, this will appeal to many more people.

I didn't realize paneling was back in, even if it is I would apply what I said to this as well. Just like before it will be a phase and people will be tearing it out in the future like it's mold.

We have found with all our builds, remodels to remain in the neutral color schemes and have never sat on a property for very long.

541-613-7136

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.